C-California 2012 - SoFo Armada

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

johnd
C Guru

Re: C-California 2012 - SoFo Armada

Post by johnd »

It's great to hear that people might come from out of state. If we could set a date to give the best chance of running the North Fork American in June, 600 CFS to 1200 CFS, based on average flows, that might offer another river to run, make it worth their while if they could run Chamberlain Falls. Of course, if people want to come to California, we could just go boating. Whatever works.
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

Hey guys-

I'm a bit too scattered these days to take on organizing an event like this. If it works out I'd definitely like to attend, but don't think I've quite got the time or the resources to put something together. Sorry. :oops:

anyway, hopefully something will come to pass where we can all get together. Thanks for understanding!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
johnd
C Guru

Post by johnd »

We're just paddling the So Fk Am over the weekend. It doesn't need much organization, the less the better, really. We just need to set a date. The meeting place is the put-in for the Gorge run, at Greenwood Creek. If people want to do more paddling, maybe they can communicate via email and phones. A date in June or July in which people can paddle other rivers if they are coming in from out of town would be good. No promises on coordinating the out-of-town stuff. Maybe someone can throw a date up on the sticky at some point, like the second weekend in June, for example. I don't know if that's a good date, just using it for an example.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

All I would need is directions to where we're meeting and time/date. It would be COOL to have some run description info posted so we all know what we're going to run. Some local knowledge of where to camp would really nice.... and if people are going to camp, just post which campsite and maybe we can camp with a few other open boaters. Pretty simple.
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

Smurf- good run description can be found here:

http://cacreeks.com/amer-sf.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A lot of folks like to camp at Camp Lotus

http://www.camplotus.com/Camp_Lotus/Welcome.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's pretty popular, and you can launch and/or takeout right from your site. Weekends tend to be relatively busy so reserving a site (or a few depending on interest) ahead of time would be advisable. They also have hot showers, flush toilets, and a general store on site. I've camped there numerous times before and the biggest challenge is hunting down a tent spot that is free of goose poop!

There are many other access points along this stretch, and I believe that Friends of the River have organized a shuttle service between Lotus Henningson park and the takeout at Salmon Falls bridge in recent years. Cost per small boat (Kayak, C-1, OC1) was 5 or 10 bucks I think.

Hope you can make it out this way!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Awesome, thanks for the info! You should create a Facebook event (laughs at Larry) and get it some publicity. Hahaha, *rolls eyes*
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

yes you should really sign up and follow us on facebook, g+, tweeter, myspace, and...well...here, i guess. that will make life easy :lol:

keep drinking that koolaid smurf. yumm, it's sweet isn't it :)
Larry
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

You guys got any ideas about the dates yet? When is the American River Fest? Trying to plan out my traveling schedule a bit. Thanks!
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

This happening or not?
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

planning and organization doesn't seem to be a priority amongst any of us cali boaters.

in our defense, the whole idea was Pat "i don't live in cali and wouldn't make the trip" Yarnell's, not ours. :wink:
Larry
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

i'm willing to bet that if we got our s@*%t together, something fun and overall beneficial to our sport might actually ensue. so what do we all think of the last weekend of june, the 29th and 30th? Nofo will no doubt be done by then given the lack of significant snowfall in the sierras this winter. if folks want to run burlier stiff like the north fork or middle fork, earlier would certainly be better. any other thoughts? :)
Peace Pow and Paddling!
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

In my own defence, all I did was seperate this from within a different thread. It was Truckee who called "single-bladers of the West unite!", and people seemed to agree.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7965456&hilit=interest+canoeing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But yeah,
the whole idea was Pat "i don't live in cali and wouldn't make the trip" Yarnell's, not ours
that pretty describes it. More-or-less guily as more-or-less charged. Just trying to help! But pick a time and a place, you might have some fun and get to paddle with a few imports.

Pat "so not making the trip because I barely even paddle locally anymore" Yarnell.
johnd
C Guru

Post by johnd »

So when are we having our Armada? I'm up for paddling the Gorge some time on weekends.
crawpappy
C Boater

Post by crawpappy »

Hey Californians! I currently live in North Carolina but am moving to Chico, CA for a job at Chico State in a few weeks. I'm (obviously) an open boater and would love to meet up with some other paddlers in the area when I get out there and get on the river! I've already found the Chico Paddleheads website, are there any other local resources I should check out?
Hans Vidkjer
Pain Boater

Re: C-California

Post by Hans Vidkjer »

Right on, Craw, welcome to Calif. Paddleheads is the local group for that area. Also check out Gold Country Paddlers, a big list server out of the Sacramento area. Both groups have a few C boaters. Shoot me a PM when you get out here and we'll set you up with some boating.
Hans