C-California 2012 - SoFo Armada

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat
C Maven

C-California 2012 - SoFo Armada

Post by yarnellboat »

Truckee, Larry, Hans,

Keep us posted on the where's and when's (if its not too much administrative formality/burden :wink: ). And don't be surprised if Rick shows up!

Build it, and somebody might come. Good luck, have fun!

Pat.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Re: C-California 2012 - SoFo Armada

Post by Larry Horne »

I'm a large steaming pile of dog doo cheerleader and I can't even plan 2 days out. So
I'll leave the planning to others.
This is a job for Bruce F!
Larry
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

yarnellboat wrote:Truckee, Larry, Hans,

Keep us posted on the where's and when's. And don't be surprised if Rick shows up!

Pat.
In fact, if you provide a babysitting service, Rick might bring a buddy! :)
C'est l'aviron. . . !
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Made a "Sticky" to assist in making it happen! :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

When (if) we set a date for this I'll be able to see if I'm down to paddle or just help with logistics/shuttle stuff. If it turns out that I'll be a shuttle bunny, I MAY have my son (3) tagging along. Dunno if that peaks anyone's interest in a "babysitting" service.
Peace Pow and Paddling!
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

truckeeboater wrote:When (if) we set a date for this I'll be able to see if I'm down to paddle or just help with logistics/shuttle stuff. If it turns out that I'll be a shuttle bunny, I MAY have my son (3) tagging along. Dunno if that peaks anyone's interest in a "babysitting" service.
whaaa?
don't worry about shuttle bunnies, we need boaters.
Pierre LaPaddelle wrote:
yarnellboat wrote:Truckee, Larry, Hans,

Keep us posted on the where's and when's. And don't be surprised if Rick shows up!

Pat.
In fact, if you provide a babysitting service, Rick might bring a buddy! :)
that's easy.
Larry
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Are we talking about a C-Boat Armada for one or two days on the South Fork American in the spring or early summer of 2012?

If so, count me in :) .

All we have to do is set a tentative date and the rest will begin to fall into place.

SYOTRiver,

Bruce F
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Yes Bruce, something like that, and based on Larry's advice - you are the head organizer, congratulations!!

Pat.

p.s. A different thread on "increased interest in canoeing?" spun off into the need for more get-togethers in the west, so that's where this is coming from.
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

what about making something in conjunction with the kern river fest, and having it down there? There's the race course in town, as well as the miracle hot spring area, and brush creek could be running. I know truckee has more to do, but lake isabella is 10 hours away versus 16 for me.
any takers?
PS, the Rebecca and Eric's brewery is there also...
-ids
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
johnd
C Guru

Post by johnd »

I don't think my Viper 12 is the best boat to take down Brush Creek, but if someone wants to run some of the class III stuff on the Kern, I would be interested. Could be Kernfest, could be in June/July. Maybe post something in the trip announcements section.

Still into the So Fork American armada idea.
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

Still down to do a SoFo Armada with folks if there's still interest. Dunno what SMUD will be releasing from Chili Bar in late spring/early summer given that it's practically 2012 and there's still no snow up here in Tahoe, but anything above 1200 cfs is fun IMHO. Let's keep up the chatter, and have a fun and safe New Year's everyone!!

Peace and Paddling!
Truckeeboater
Peace Pow and Paddling!
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I'll be on the Middle Fork of the Salmon for a few day starting May 11th, but if that trip doesn't conflict with this event I'd be 'in' most likely.
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

There might be some Colorado paddlers interested too. How is your snow pack, not hereing good things so far?
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

so far no good. most of the sierras are pretty dry right now, although we are at the beginning of what could turn out to be a pretty significant storm cycle (forecasting about 8-10 feet above 8000' over the next week or so!). Also, the great thing about the SoFo is that even in low water years SMUD will pretty much guarantee boatable releases from Chili Bar Dam throughout the spring, summer and fall. This run is by far the most popular rafting run in California and much of the local economy depends upon river tourism to survive. Luckily, most of the water masters are hip to this fact! Point being, even if we have a below average snow year, we should still have plenty of water for a gathering of open boaters almost any day of the boating season.
Peace Pow and Paddling!
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

yeah, the snowpack doesn't really matter. chili bar and the gorge on the south fork american will be running.
as far as other rivers goes..a small snowpack isn't the end of the world. Sure, there are a few treats that only happen in big years. but in small years most everything still runs, and usually at a great boating flows. I might even argue that small years are a bit better than big years for the 4-5 stuff and definately better for the 5+ crowd.
big snowpack years actually are a pain unless you really like BIG water.
'course all that depends entirely on the weather :wink:

I have a feeling this will be a great boating year.

so, unless it's all on FB and I'm cluless.... there have been a few emails floating around but nobody is really doing anything.

I'm thinking maybe truckee boater will step up and organize something.

if nothing ever gets organized... just let me know when your coming out and we'll simply go boating :)
Larry