Riot Magnum as a C1?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Riot Magnum as a C1?

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Has anyone had a Magnum [80] as a c1? My Gus is getting rather battered now (as a ten year old boat, it's doing pretty well really) and I like it enough to replace it as a day-to-day creekboat before I total it; There's a shop near me who imported more Magnums than they can shift and I might be able to get a good deal on one.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Re: Riot Magnum as a C1?

Post by marclamenace »

One of my budies has one. Good creek boat, big volume and rocker profile is nice. Not the best plastic however, but not sure how they're doing since the molding has moved up in china last year...

If you have a deal on one go for it, but I would go for another design if you're to buy new. Not sure how the outfit in their K1 creek is but their astro K1 kayak seat fitting is really not ideal to do a conversion, and their cockpit is really small and low, but I know the magnum cockpit is not that bad, but still not ideal if you have big thighs.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

A bunch of my friends paddle them as K boats (only because they got smoking deals on them), and after seeing them come off roof racks with large pressure dents from the racks (where other boats are just fine) seeing them pin and fold with ease, crack on drops other boats survive all the time... I'd suggest something more robust.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

In communist china boat pins you! :(

That's not encouraging... Maybe I'd rather save for a Jefe or Stomper after all.

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

After C-1ing the Jefe, I'd suggest the idea of more edge and slightly wider nose profile on the Stomper would be the better choice. I have the Jefe and the Jefe Grande... both are 'not bad' but lack the zippy edge of my Blunt which I prefer. If only the Blunt had more volume and rocker in the bow...
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I've had a Jefe and a Grande before, and I liked them, there's something to be said for the roundness of the hull when it comes to bouncing off of rocks and landing in confused water... There's also something to be said for having a rail to help you track wide turns to your off side... I guess I'll get saving.