the L'edge deck semi chop

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: the L'edge deck semi chop

Post by Craig Smerda »

View the photo then "right click" then "print picture"... in case you kids want to get out your crayons and do some doodling before cutting... :wink:
Attachments
cut.JPG
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
PatrickOC1
C Guru

Post by PatrickOC1 »

Craig Smerda wrote:Zach's

Thats what your boat needs buster......more cowbell... :lol: .

seriously is that a cowbell? :o
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

"Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!" :lol:
Peace Pow and Paddling!
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

just do it...

... (well) maybe that'd be overdoing it.
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    busterblue
    CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

This is old news, but I figured it would be nice to follow up. I had done a lot of hand-wringing over the prospect of cutting the decks off, but it turned out to be a very easy project.

First, I traced lines with a wax crayon. I left a 2-inch lip where gunnels would normally be. (Basically, just extending the lip that is in the cockpit area). Following some wise advice on this forum, I kept the wave deflector on the front . This was to avoid smashing my hands on the chunk of plastic that would otherwise be sticking out. For the ends, I found something round to trace.

I cut pretty far out to the ends. Originally, I had planned to add thwarts for stability, but it does not seem necessary. The remaining plastic keeps the hull quite stiff.

Lacking power tools, I made the cut using a keyhole saw with a fine blade. This was a little bit of a pain, but it did not take long. The remaining edges were sharp, and for a while I was cutting myself on them. I finally got around to smoothing the edges with a Shureform shaver and sandpaper.

The weight difference is negligible. But taking the decks off makes everything a little bit easier -- from storing gear to minor outfitting tweaks. It takes a little courage to make the chop, but it's not hard.

truckeeboater
    CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

Well done! She looks great :D
    Peace Pow and Paddling!
    Creeker
    CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

looks nice but it might be just a bit better to put a small curve leading to the deflector vs the acute angle you cut. Just point it out maybe for the next guy. Enjoy stomping the Goods in that bad boy.