C1 conversion suggestions

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dwinchester
Pain Boater

C1 conversion suggestions

Post by dwinchester »

Toying with the idea of converting a butt boat. I've only been in a c1 once and I'm looking for suggestions on what boat to get. The boat I tried out was a wavesport ez. The cockpit was a little small for me and and like to have a little more boat under me. I'm not much of a playboater so I'm thinking a high volume river runner/creeker would be a better (more stable) way to go. I saw in an older post several people mentioned the ll remix as a good beginner's c1. Any other suggestions? Older hull designs are fine, maybe even preferable since i'm on a budget. I'm 5'7" about 180lbs if that helps.
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Re: C1 conversion suggestions

Post by TNbound »

A wavesport Z makes a pretty reasonable conversion. Very edgy and probably not the most stable thing ever, but very fun.
Remixes/jefes are popular. As are burns/everests/karnalis.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Necky Blunt! My favorite ol school c1 conversion.
Silent Bob
C Guru

Post by Silent Bob »

Just recently picked up a Bliss-Stick Mystic. Only paddled it once so far, but I think I like it. Seems stable, with enough edge to be useful but not too grabby. Turned out to be really comfortable too.

-Bob
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Pyranha Everest
Proud Yankee
dwinchester
Pain Boater

Post by dwinchester »

Thanks for the suggestions!
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

+2 on the Everest. I'm your size and I have one. Its a great C-1, but like you mentioned about being on a budget... the Blunt (I bought one for $150 in excellent conditions) is a close second.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I will always have a WS Z, but I really like my Karnali L and a Fluid Spice L I did this summer. The Spice is 27" wide and very stable. My winter project is a Fluid Solo.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Fluid solo was the first conversion I paddled. borrowed from a friend before I paddled any other c1. even cought an ender in it (swam out cause I was laughing to much underwater. anyway I realy like to try it again.

Right now I reaquired my former kayak Pyranha Stretch as a c1.

Boat is liitle slow as a river runner but is super stable and converts quickly with dagger saddle and bracket made from a small piece of ledge deck, and i think makes a cool high volume play boat for big guys. Will report back after I attempt an ender let alone loopin it.
Proud Yankee
coloradopaddler
C Guru

Post by coloradopaddler »

Darren right?
Had to respond since I bought that ez off of you. I have a remix 79 that I think is a lot of fun. I'm about 170 lbs. and 6'1" I am definitely not using it for anything but river running since it floats like a cork with me in it. Try one out if you can you will probably like it.
In a canoe you don't just float down a river: you're part of it- a silent water creature responsive to every surge and flex of current, gliding like a fingertip over a naked green body. "The River Why" David James Duncan
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Wavesport ForPlay if you want a general play and overall river runner.
Keep the C!
Adam
dwinchester
Pain Boater

Post by dwinchester »

Thanks for the input guys! Yep it's Darren. How's that EZ treating you? Funny thing, I'm actually in Colorado right now visiting my brother.
coloradopaddler
C Guru

Post by coloradopaddler »

Where are you visiting?! Come paddle my boat if you can. The animas is super low right now but there is still enough to try out a boat. I am loving the ez! It is super fun and I'd like to think that I am progressing with it.
In a canoe you don't just float down a river: you're part of it- a silent water creature responsive to every surge and flex of current, gliding like a fingertip over a naked green body. "The River Why" David James Duncan
dwinchester
Pain Boater

Post by dwinchester »

Thanks for the invite! Would have taken you up on that but I just got your message. I was in Boulder (back in the flatlands now) visiting my brother who just moved out there. I'm planning on coming back out in the spring. Maybe we can meet up and i can take your boat for a spin!
drrpm
C Guru

Post by drrpm »

The Nomad makes a good conversion. I know several people who paddle them and like it. The Remix 79 looks like it would be good too.