Drakkar Wheelboy

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hankrankin
C Guru

Drakkar Wheelboy

Post by hankrankin »

Why have i never seen this boat? anyone paddle this boat on the regular?

http://playak.com/article.php?id=1129
philcanoe
C Maven

Re: Drakkar Wheelboy

Post by philcanoe »

Do you know Marshall Fox from Atlanta?
Last edited by philcanoe on Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    Mikey B
    CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

PAC paddles his alot. There's a few out there. Great little boat if you can find one.
    Sir Adam
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

It IS a great little boat, if a little heavy (but then I'm used to glass).

Too bad they don't make them any more.

If you want a higher performance (and glass) boat of the same concepts, check out the Shaggy Designs Pagan.

If you ever wind up back in upstate NY again and have time to head over to the adirondacks shoot me a PM - you (and everyone else) is welcome to come paddle the boats in the "collection" any time. One of these years I should try and get them down to the Armada, but it would take a canoe trailer... or maybe 2 :o . Good thing there are C1's and not OC1's... though the old school ones are pretty deep...
    Keep the C!
    Adam
    hankrankin
    C Guru

Post by hankrankin »

philcanoe wrote:Do you know Marshall Fox from Atlanta?
    I do not know marshal fox, but i would like to, got some contact info?
    Sir Adam wrote:It IS a great little boat, if a little heavy (but then I'm used to glass).

If you want a higher performance (and glass) boat of the same concepts, check out the Shaggy Designs Pagan.

If you ever wind up back in upstate NY again and have time to head over to the adirondacks shoot me a PM - you (and everyone else) is welcome to come paddle the boats in the "collection" any time. One of these years I should try and get them down to the Armada, but it would take a canoe trailer... or maybe 2 :o . Good thing there are C1's and not OC1's... though the old school ones are pretty deep...
    The shaggy designs are very cool, and i would like to try out the Pagan and the sith if i had a chance. And i will definately be up that way again (my girlfriends family lives near rochester) so maybe we can do some boating next time im there Adam. Thanks for all the input guys
    marclamenace
    CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

This might not be available anymore but just in case...

http://www.cboats.net/cforum3/viewtopic ... ilit=pagan
    Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
    philcanoe
    C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

(sent)
      ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
      Pierre LaPaddelle
      CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Sir Adam wrote:It IS a great little boat. . . Too bad they don't make them any more.
      True. But don't be shy, folks -- if you have one for sale, please PM me! :o

Rick
      C'est l'aviron. . . !
      PAC
      CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

It IS a great little boat, if a little heavy (but then I'm used to glass).

Heavy yes but it will last until the end of time... bomber and then some! Its my go to boat on ELF runs. Used up to IVs including some medium drops.... but things can get interesting in big pushy stuff. SqueakyKnees run the Upper G in one a number of times. Bottom line - if you can find one buy it. :-) Shaggys are fun too.
      Paul C.
      Cboats Moderator
      Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
      Sickboyuk
      C Boater

Post by Sickboyuk »

Hi all, thought I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one.
      I have my eye on a wheelboy and a factory converted Pyranha 4-20, the 4-20 is very local so I can at least see if I can squeeze into it, the Wheelboy less so.
      The question being, at 105kg (and slowly decreasing) will the wheelboy be, A; more comfortable being wider and B; more forgiving than the 4-20 at my weight. The Drakkar bumf says 90kg's as the top end......hmmm
      It'll be my first C1 so Ill be starting out with flat water skills, if it helps, I got on well with my prelude, only sold on because it was very wet with my heft in it.

Look forward to your thoughts

Tim 8)
      Pierre LaPaddelle
      CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Sickboyuk wrote: . . . so I can at least see if I can squeeze into it . . . will the wheelboy be more comfortable being wider . . .
      I like mine, but I ain't as big as you. Be aware that the cockpit is considerably smaller than a kayak's. Also, the stock seat is fairly wide. I'm around 160#, with short legs, and size 9 booties. I had to trim the seat just to enter and exit easily. IMHO you should definitely try before you buy.

Rick
      C'est l'aviron. . . !
      Sickboyuk
      C Boater

Post by Sickboyuk »

Thanks Rick, I've paddled the 4-twenty as a kaak and I know the cockpits pretty big, thought that being a bit wider the wheelboy would have a wider cockpit, maybe not.
      Walsh
      CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

I thought that the Wheelboy had a standard c-1 slalom cockpit (considerably smaller than a k-1 keyhole cockpit.)
      FURZTROCKEN!
      YTcanoe
      C Guru

Post by YTcanoe »

90kg would be about 200lbs. I was about 185 when last paddling my WBoy and felt I was about at its upper limit as a park/playboat. As a river runner I thought I was getting too heavy. As an all round playboat/ river runner, I think 175 to be about the limit.

I never truly fell in love with the boat. It was a very good boat, a great all rounder (at the right weight), but a little lost as a rodeo/ freestyle boat. It didn't have the slice and cartwheel ability of my Delirious or the pop and aerial ability of newer boats. I think anyone (at any weight) could find a better freestyle specific boat to convert. However, it is still a fantastic all rounder for the right weight.

I was trying to set up as a distributor and brought a couple into Canada. The base outfitting was good and the plastic was bomber. A couple were visibly asymetrical side to side (improperly set to cool?), but really just cosmetic.

Haven't paddled mine in years. I'm almost certain I've given up C-1, but I'm hanging onto it just in case. It's in great shape, I could be tempted to trade it for a good Spanish Fly or full rodeo OC like a Blackfly or Salsa. If I do decide to sell, I'll post it.
      Yukon
      Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

Pelly wants a wheel boy but he doesnt know it yet
      Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.