The Eddy McGnarlz experience

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

The Eddy McGnarlz experience

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

I did a solo run of Paint Creek in Johnstown, PA this past week. I have known about the creek for years..and it just seemed like a good day to give it a shot.

The video is pretty much a raw edit of my run (22mins). If you have the time, and interest - enjoy the canoeing action - as I pick my way down a new and unknown creek, by my lonesome.

http://vimeo.com/34438252" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm interested on getting some feedback on this - so let me know what you think
Last edited by FullGnarlzOC on Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Re: The Eddy McGnarlz experience

Post by oopsiflipped »

that sure looked like what eddie mcgnarlz is all about man.

i watched it in FF and with the sound off, so maybe I missed it, but where is the class V section? is that what it's rated with twice that flow?

and since you asked for feedback, it might be easier to hold on to your t-grip if your not wearing 5 mil gloves. as a former glove wearer, those things are the devil. i finally got c-pogies with just the hole in the top and they are great. mine are snapdragon, but i bet skirtworks makes them, too.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Gabe, AW says it is a Class V run at "normal Flows" and lists runnable levels at 5.50'-10.0'. On 12-28 in the middle of the night it spiked to 5.2'. That is the highest level since before 12/20. Average gradient is listed at 225'/mi. A respectable solo PFD. Maybe there is another Paint Creek?
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

"i watched it in FF and with the sound off, so maybe I missed it, but where is the class V section? is that what it's rated with twice that flow?" - That's kind of what I was wondering. I got it at a little below -1 on the bridge gage. Word is -1 to 0 is good to go, with above 0 being scary.

I also found out that there is another .75miles upstream, that has a lot of 'the good stuff' in it....which, with me not knowing about the put-in... it seemed as tho i missed some of the good stuff.

... Gabe - Did you watch the whole video thinking "wheres the class v, wheres the class v?!" :)
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

oopsiflipped wrote:that sure looked like what eddie mcgnarlz is all about man.

i watched it in FF and with the sound off, so maybe I missed it, but where is the class V section? is that what it's rated with twice that flow?
I'm with you on this... It looks like a fairly steep, continuous 3 there's some tasty 4 or even 4+ rapids; the whole thing is no mean feat for a solo run so why take away from that achevement by trying to claim it's something more than it is?
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

josh ur so right brah. rapids ratings really have nothing to do with this vid - so i'll just delete the description. it my fault. i forgot how I have to word for word edit, any time i post to cboats.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

fun looking run and cool geology... great way to explore it for higher water levels as well. looks as though with some juice it would be a blast... and it looks to have a good shoreline for scouting and/or walking if need be. there's a few drops and slots in there where I could see things get a lot more "interesting" at high flow. way to get out there and scope out the goods.

more importantly... how'd you get shuttled from A to B ?
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

oopsiflipped wrote:that sure looked like what eddie mcgnarlz is all about man.

and since you asked for feedback, it might be easier to hold on to your t-grip if your not wearing 5 mil gloves. as a former glove wearer, those things are the devil. i finally got c-pogies with just the hole in the top and they are great. mine are snapdragon, but i bet skirtworks makes them, too.

how do you fast forward ?
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    FullGnarlzOC
    C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

craig - some pretty johnstown locals...helped me dry my gear too.
    TNbound
    CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Looks like a fun little run. I'd like to see that big slide with the boof at the end with a little more water on it....
    Any idea what the stuff above where you put in is like? More boulders? Slides?
    -Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
    Mikey B
    CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

Thanks Tommy...looks like a cool little run!

Phil, just drag the bar along to FF :D

Mikey
    oopsiflipped
    CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

tommy - well, yeah kinda. i figured it would be the part where you swam so i backed it up and actually watched that part. nope, just those darn gloves.

phil - i had to let the whole thing download while i was doing other stuff and then, yeah, click on the bar and drag it through.
    PAC
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

nice Tommy... you missed the the top drops and tunnel...just need to go back to get it.
    How was the water quality.. the sewage pipes are supposed to fixed, limiting the corn eyed brown trout. Looks like the mine run off still needs controlled.. it awlays been bad. You could tell where the one Stoney take out was from the smell of the Paint :o . Not a place you want to swim - bad water, sharp rocks and metal objects with sharp points all through it! But nice to C U had fun! :-)
    Paul C.
    Cboats Moderator
    Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
    Sickboyuk
    C Boater

Post by Sickboyuk »

PAC wrote:nice Tommy... you missed the the top drops and tunnel...just need to go back to get it.
    How was the water quality.. the sewage pipes are supposed to fixed, limiting the corn eyed brown trout. Looks like the mine run off still needs controlled.. it awlays been bad. You could tell where the one Stoney take out was from the smell of the Paint :o . Not a place you want to swim - bad water, sharp rocks and metal objects with sharp points all through it! But nice to C U had fun! :-)
    Your really selling it to me, sounds like a drainage ditch at the back of an industrial estate on a hill :-?

Anyway, great solo run, got the headcam angle spot on.
    Big Al
    CBoats Addict

Post by Big Al »

I like it, Tommy. I didn't see all the "blind offside" drops I'd been told about. Let's do it when there's more water!

Big Al