While paddling a canoe I prefer to keep my feet...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

While paddling a canoe I prefer to keep my feet...

Poll ended at Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:22 pm

on the footpegs.
56%
under the footpegs.
44%

Total votes: 48

philcanoe
C Maven

Re: While paddling a canoe I prefer to keep my feet...

Post by philcanoe »

Well - perhaps -maybe without the pump(s)....

:lol: .....there'd be more room.
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    avlclimber
    C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

Feet on the pegs; slide 'em back in the flats so I can change position for a while (not always necessary)

2 questions: I scrungle my toes flat on the bottom of the boat, and push on the pegs with the balls of my feet. Is this what most peg-users do? This requires flexible shoes and makes the angle less severe @ my knees. (circulation, etc) I really wrench those pegs up to the first click on the track (I'm 5'10ish 30 inch inseam) especially @ decent rapids. Can't roll my bulkhead canoe w/out my feet secured

I sometimes worry after hittin' a good rock on the hull if it's gonna snap my toes. (I've had a couple toe-jamming hits) but now the under-peggers have me more worried about pinch potential. Is this a concern, and is it more pronounced in PE (more hull flex/ less foam than Royalex?)
    Jon
    C Guru

Post by Jon »

flat. With the extensions I talked about earlier pop riveted to the peg plates, my toes do not slide under the pegs, but I can push on them to hold myself in. I have my straps set up agressively (my crotch anchor strap is about 2" further back than Mike Yee recommends, but this means that the thigh straps are really high up my legs and don't have to be really tight to hold me firmly). I like having my feet pointed back. If I push, I'm in solid, if I relax, there is lots of room to exit. I think if you paddle with your feet verticle and the footpegs cranked up, there is go give and looseness if you relax, so the outfitting setup cannot be as agressive. Paddling with your toes UNDER the pegs seems to be looking for trouble in two or three different ways. I've never even considered it.
    DougB
    CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

I'm with Jon on this one. I have extensions bolted on to my standard Yakima pegs making them wider and also almost flush to the bottom of the hull. My feet usually stay flat with toes pushing against pegs. When I really want to be jammed in I can still go toes down and push with the balls of my feet. I tried the under the pegs, actually had Mike Yee make me a saddle with them mounted higher but it wasn't for me.
    Todhunter
    Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Nathan Z - what you said reminds me that footwear has a lot to do with this subject. I wear Keen Newports, which have a serious rubber reinforced toe on them, so being up on my toes in the boat is not painful. If you're just using neoprene booties, your toes have to support more, and that can be tiring and/or painful. I too move my pegs around depending on what I'm wearing (drysuit = pegs further back) and how crammed into the bulkhead I want to feel for that particular stretch of water.
    Matt Todhunter
    Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
    sbroam
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

The Keen Newports are nice in that they protect the toe, but sometimes my feet cramp because the sole is so stiff. I like a sole with just enough support to protect my feet from stones, but flexy enough to allow my foot position. I have quite a few shoes with the *tops* (over the second joint of the big toe) worn through, though. I reinforced my last purchase (NRS Desperado - best fit over my dry suit) with Sugru (http://www.sugru.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) - we'll see what that does...

All of this recent discussion only shows how varied we are in our preferences (and anatomy). And why there has never been one set up that works for everybody...
    keez
    C Guru

Post by keez »

There was a post on here describing the bolting of an "L" shaped piece of plastic (I used an aluminum strip) to the foot-pegs, and then gluing a triangular piece of foam the inside of the L.

This allows for the top of the foot to remain flat on the hull, but gives you something to grip against.

I've used this set up for about 2 seasons and found it to be most comfortable and secure, despite my numerous requirements to roll. It's also fairly easy to slide your foot out in case you have to.

Keez
    NickParker
    C Guru

Post by NickParker »

...There was a post on here describing the bolting of an "L" shaped piece of plastic (I used an aluminum strip) to the foot-pegs, and then gluing a triangular piece of foam the inside of the L... This allows for the top of the foot to remain flat on the hull, but gives you something to grip against.
    Does anyone have a photo of this? Enjoyed the photo of the red shoes, but I'd like to see a photo of this too.
    Craig Smerda
    L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

A year or two ago angled footpegs (as found on the CUFly) were brought up here and someone (?) asked how they could do that to their existing Yakima pegs.

I just ran across the doodle... not sure if this will help anyone but I'll toss it out here again.

Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
    keez
    C Guru

Post by keez »

Thanks Craig, that's exactly what I was trying to describe.
    I really like this foot-peg setup, now that I can't curl my toes to place the ball of my foot on the pegs.
    Keez
    jerm
    c

Post by jerm »

Just wondering... isn't having your toes under the footpegs a recipe for disaster? If your hull gets hit by a boulder, or is bent when pinning, isn't the footpegs gonna chop your toes off? :o It has always been a fear of mine, so I personnally keep my toes on the footpegs.
    TNbound
    CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

jerm wrote:Just wondering... isn't having your toes under the footpegs a recipe for disaster? If your hull gets hit by a boulder, or is bent when pinning, isn't the footpegs gonna chop your toes off? :o

I've definitely had my toes pinched by unexpected rocks in shallow stuff, but that was in my Prelude which is pretty thin/bendy at this point.

Personally, I stretch my feet flat on the bottom of the hull on easy stuff and keep the ball of my feet on pedals when the going gets hairy.
    -Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
    Atucky
    CBoats Addict

Post by Atucky »

When outfitting, I install so that the bottom of the footpeg is 2 inches off the hull. this allows for more room with toes under, but you can also keep them pressed against the pegs.

Saddle height has a dog in this fight too. I find it more comfy to keep toes under when running a low saddle.

someone had a point about potential danger with feet flat. I've had some bruised shins as a result hitting rocks after a drop, so this is an issue for me (especially with a royalex boat). And I'm not willing to put much foam down because I like to stay low.

My thoughts...
    Adam Trunnell
    Paddle Power
    C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

For OC, I like to wear shoes because they work well with foot pegs. The hard sole helps keep my feet upright and on the foot pegs.

For C1, flat feet and wetsuit boots, no foot pegs.
    Brian
    http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    fleckbass
    CBoats Addict

Post by fleckbass »

Wishing there was an "in between" slot on the foot peg rail in my last couple of boats. :(
    I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com