While paddling a canoe I prefer to keep my feet...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Poll ended at Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:22 pm

on the footpegs.
56%
under the footpegs.
44%

Total votes: 48

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Re: While paddling a canoe I prefer to keep my feet...

Post by Mikey B »

I wish I could keep mine on the pegs all the time...only can tolerate it for brief stints. :-?

Which leads me to ask...(because as others have noted, it's hard to fit perfect in your bulkheads in all season's) I'm guessing you fit in your bulkhead outfitting with the different layers needed, depending on time of year paddling, by just pushing yourself into the outfitting tightly with the footpegs? You must have it sized for your winter gear and then move the pegs up for warm weather? I'm guessing it wouldn't change your position in the boat enough to make a big difference? For those of us under the peg folks, maybe straps too would be the way to go
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Post by Big Al »

Goin thru gnarly waters my toes go under footpegs. I'm geting some huge bunyons because of this.

Big Al
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

for those of you that jamb your little piggies under the pegs... do you use thigh straps in your boats?

do you use ankle blocks?

how consistent is your roll?
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

I'm the opposite of Big Al...if it's gnarly or I'm playing I have them on the pegs and in easier water or slow stretches I have them under with the balls of my feet on the pegs more-or-less. It definitely is harder to stay in while rolling with the feet under like that...especially in bigger features :)
But in most cases you can still roll up.
I broke both my big toes and both my little toes when I was a young lad...so they don't like to bend and it hurts with them up on the pegs for extended periods. I'm thinking if I got a stiff toes water shoe I might be able to keep them on them longer?
Hmmm
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I primarily keep my toes under the pegs pushing with the balls of my feet - I push harder when things get gnarlier and I need a better "grip". The "grip" is not entirely from pushing with my feet, though - some of it is the "thigh master" effect. I just can't keep my feet up on the pegs for very long at all - having my heels up closes the angle of the knees significantly and greatly affects circulation. It's worse the lower the seat is, so using pegs in a C-1 is pretty much out of the question for me.

When I'm paddling regularly, my roll is pretty bomber, regardless of whether I'm in straps or bulkhead (properly fitted).

As for ankle blocks - I've used them in the past, don't currently, but could see me trying them again (they would be *low*).
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

On the pegs. Ankle blocks greatly extended the amount of time I can stand being in the saddle. I can (typically) comfortably be in my boat for more than 2 straight hours without getting out, however I still like to get out at least once per hour.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Toes under pegs with top of foot flat... with straps or bulkhead, reguardless of class. Really like to be locked down and wearing the boat. Roll never as good as it should be but getting more air than not. :wink:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

In the Detonator with STAPS: I've only had 4 swims that didn't involve a giant hole. It rolls like a dream. My toes are pretty loose and very relaxed 99% of the time under the peddles.

Option with toes up and under pegs randomly seeking whats best rapid by rapid is giving me about 70% rolling game right now.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

I keep my comfortably, under the footpegs. No ankle blocks yet(might put them in). I find this is the best way to stay in your boat until you finally want out. (it also provides a lot of give for big bow impacts)

I dont roll anymore in the fullgnarlz boat. i just swim. all the cool kids are doing it
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

toes, back, pushing on the peg with the arch of my foot, similar to what sbroam posted, but with the pegs higher up on my foot. I'm not sure if that counts as under or on.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

In the Spark what Scott is doing. It has a saddle and I use ankle blocks. In the Ocoee with Team Edge outfitting I removed the foot pegs entirely and use foam "heel" blocks glued to the sides of the saddle. The ocoee also has ankle blocks. The Ocoee is foamed out on the sides and I have added aggressive "spreaders" glued to the sides of the front of the saddle. It approaches a bulkhead and I have left in the Frankie strap system. The Ocoee is the most comfortable set up and also quite easy to roll.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Craig Smerda wrote:While paddling a canoe I prefer to keep my feet...
:D

... in the boat
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    AJ
    CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

Feet Flat with ankle blocks no foot pegs preferred in my C1s using thigh straps and knee cups. I have raised or cut off the bottom of some of my yakama foot pegs. In my Ocoee, I use the Northwater adjustable foot cups.
    ezwater
    C Maven

Post by ezwater »

What footpegs? At my height, once my long legs are wedged in the boat, with my shins and foottops against the bottom of the boat, I don't need footpegs. In fact, they would be a danger to me.

Decker, don't you keep your feet in your mouth? :)