New River Multi day Canoe trip??

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

nrjoel
C Boater

New River Multi day Canoe trip??

Post by nrjoel »

Hey there friends....
I'm looking into planning a Multi-Day Class 2/3- River Canoeing Expedition in the Fall for a Univerisity group. In the past I've done sections the French Broad in NC and some sections of the Buffalo in Ar.

This is a begiiner group and looking to travel down river 7-14 days (hopefully as wilderness of an experience as possible) teaching techniques and skills. Anyone have any beta or old trip plans they care to share. Fall is a tough time and doing it in the SE seems to make this goal even tougher.

Ive heard sections of the NEw might be a possible option. Thanks!! Nate
ViewfromaCanoe
c

Re: New River Multi day Canoe trip??

Post by ViewfromaCanoe »

I cannot comment on the New, but the Big South Fork and its headwaters in KY/TN could also make a good option.
tdaniel
c

Re: New River Multi day Canoe trip??

Post by tdaniel »

The New River has water in the fall (the Big South Fork is a maybe for water that time of year) and plenty of class II and III rapids. I recommend finishing the canoe trip with a rafting day in the gorge: The stretch between Hinton (Bellepoint) and Cunard has only one major obstacle, Sandstone Falls- a mandatory portage and if you paddle below Thurmond expect to skirt a couple of rapids. I definately wouldn't classify the trip as wilderness but most of the stretches are roadless and feel somewhat remote. I have limited experience in Virginia on the New but believe there are sections you might like as well. The New River Gorge National Park website has a paddlers guide online. It describes the section briefly from Hinton to Cunard. Here's a link: http://www.nps.gov/neri/planyourvisit/whitewater.htm
the line I'm takin' is the rr tracks