OC1 HATE??? WHAT THE?....

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

leclercraven
C Guru

OC1 HATE??? WHAT THE?....

Post by leclercraven »

Is it just me or is there a lot of kayakers out there hating open-boaters? Just recently, I've been at a boat store here in Ottawa looking at some creeking style kayaks, (for my wife, she finds kayaking easier) and the 20ish salesperson just basically told me I was a fool when I told him I was an OC1er. C1 were ok though, he told me.

Why all the hate!??? :evil:
ian123
CBoats Addict

Re: OC1 HATE??? WHAT THE?....

Post by ian123 »

Purposely making things more difficult.... maybe we re all fools :D

Don't be so sensitive.
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

This one time, a kayaker pushed me down the stairs while hurling anti-Irish epitaphs at me. Then he took my beer and my girlfriend and left. I've never been the same.
Chris Loomis
djutzi
C Guru

Post by djutzi »

leclercraven wrote:I've been at a boat store here in Ottawa ... and the 20ish salesperson
Let me guess...the new Paddleshack location? I think I know the guy that you're talking about, too (I'm pretty sure he worked at the previous incarnation of Trailhead as well).

Anyways I can't provide any useful feedback on his disdain for open boats, but I will say that I think its important we make sure Paddleshack knows that Ottawa/Gatineau has a vibrant open boat community, so that they will serve our needs. Good for you for reinforcing this with them, even if the reception was cool...
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

djutzi wrote:
leclercraven wrote:I've been at a boat store here in Ottawa ... and the 20ish salesperson
Let me guess...the new Paddleshack location? I think I know the guy that you're talking about, too (I'm pretty sure he worked at the previous incarnation of Trailhead as well).

Anyways I can't provide any useful feedback on his disdain for open boats, but I will say that I think its important we make sure Paddleshack knows that Ottawa/Gatineau has a vibrant open boat community, so that they will serve our needs. Good for you for reinforcing this with them, even if the reception was cool...
Yep, that's the place, to think I was shopping for a kayak... Should change the name to "Ottawa Kayak Only Shack"... :lol:

Maybe I'll do a few extra miles and cross the bridge to the other province for my next boat purchase! :P
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

If the kid is 20ish, go read my reply under krikkitwar's poll, "do we need to be recognised?"--it's on the second page. See if what I wrote about young paddlers matches this guy. :wink:

In the meantime, spend your money where you like to spend it. 8)
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
greybear
C Guru

Post by greybear »

I had a yaker give me crap once on a river. I wasn't in a good mood that day and comment put me over the edge. So cussed him out and then proceeded tell if he was a man get out of his boat and try and take me, that was after I told him I was going through a divorce, on anti-depressants and in therepy three times a week. (All of which was true at the time, since then things have gotten better). He looks at me real quick, and then at the crazies with me and heads down river without a word. Most yakers think open boaters are a little off our rockers, plow over them in eddies, and own stock in duct tape. They might be right but open boaters from my experience have been and boat more years than butt boaters (not a hobby but a way of life) and we always have better stories.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

greybear wrote:I had a yaker give me crap once on a river. I wasn't in a good mood that day and comment put me over the edge. So cussed him out and then proceeded tell if he was a man get out of his boat and try and take me, that was after I told him I was going through a divorce, on anti-depressants and in therepy three times a week. (All of which was true at the time, since then things have gotten better). He looks at me real quick, and then at the crazies with me and heads down river without a word.

:o

Thanks for sharing, greybear. I've got a great mental image of what that must have looked like had I been sitting in the same eddy watching the events unfold before me. :D It was great to meet you, even though it was brief, at Liberty. I hope the "Big Banana" is happy at her new home.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I'd suggest having a chat with that kids manager/the business owner, as I'm pretty sure the people with real skin in the retail game won't want that attitude to happen at their shop and would correct it.
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

Sometimes, as an open boater, I hate myself. Is that wrong? Geez, there I am doubting myself again, I hate myself! Is that wrong? AAAHHG!
JD
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Well if you run into a kayaker like that just remind him that yours is bigger than his.
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

greybear wrote: Most yakers think open boaters are a little off our rockers, plow over them in eddies, and own stock in duct tape.

You do own stock in duct tape, right?

I think what we all need to remember is:

1. "Open boating enhances sexual charisma."
2. No one likes open boaters, but people like SUPers and river boarders less. I think.

Time to go fall a little further off my rocker.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

I have a buddy that was paddling OC1 in Browns Cayon one day. A kayaker ferried accross the river to him. He thought he was coming up to talk, but instead he grabbed his gunwale and flipped him and took off. He never did catch up to him unfortunately, as he was ex-military and would have kicked his butt.

I know some kayakers don't like to paddled with OC1ers, due their size blocking their downstream view and they don't like to wait for bailing. With that said, I paddle with a lot of kayakers that are good folks! I don't see much hatin going on in Colorado.
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

AJ wrote:I have a buddy that was paddling OC1 in Browns Cayon one day. A kayaker ferried accross the river to him. He thought he was coming up to talk, but instead he grabbed his gunwale and flipped him and took off. He never did catch up to him unfortunately, as he was ex-military and would have kicked his butt.

I know some kayakers don't like to paddled with OC1ers, due their size blocking their downstream view and they don't like to wait for bailing. With that said, I paddle with a lot of kayakers that are good folks! I don't see much hatin going on in Colorado.
One of my paddle buddy is a kayaker. I didn't mean to generalize, there are a lot of kayakers out there who actually admire OC1ers simply because they know that what we do takes more skills. Just last fall there were a few kayakers who actually told me that they were impressed seeing me surf and slide out smoothly out of a huge hole called "Phils hole" on the Ottawa River. All of them, five in all, got stuck in it and then spit out upside down. Don't tell anybody, but I'm quite new to the sport and I'm pretty sure it was just plain luck!
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

Smurfwarrior wrote:I'd suggest having a chat with that kids manager/the business owner, as I'm pretty sure the people with real skin in the retail game won't want that attitude to happen at their shop and would correct it.
Good idea, I was just thinking of sending an e-mail to the owner. He's got to know that I am thinking of getting a new l'Edge and a couple of kayaks for my wife and daughter and that because of the stupid and negative remarks I'll probably buy them somewhere else.