Winter in the Grand Canyon

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wiggins
C Guru

Re: Winter in the Grand Canyon

Post by Wiggins »

Got my notice yesterday that I did not get the permit. Looks like I am going for the cancellation lotteries!

Kyle
ClassFive Boats
C Guru

Post by ClassFive Boats »

Ive been blessed to OC1 the GC several times. Winter is a great time to go.
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

Would you guys be interested in a Cataract Canyon trip this spring?

That'd be a good preparation for a GC trip.
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

10 days away from 2014 Grand Canyon permit season.
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

I just got off a 14 day kayak self support trip today. I'll post some more thoughts once I get further along with the re-entry process...
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

We did 14 days with one layover. For about the first half of the trip we had brutally cold weather (record lows). We put in some big days on the water during that time, figuring paddling was the warmest thing we could do. I think our longest day was 29 miles. In a canoe, I probably wouldn't want to do more than 25, and would shoot for an average of around 18-20 ish. Its certainly possible to knock out the miles, but its nice to have time to hike, stretch, and drink beer. Later in the trip we had nicer weather, and since we were ahead of schedule, we got to put in short days and had more beach and hiking time in the sun.

As far as when to go, for a self support trip, on of the biggest advantages of going between nov and feb is being allowed to gather driftwood for fires. In terms of gear, I probably wouldn't take much less in November than I did in January (did I mention it was record lows?). I'd still plan for the coldest it might be, and a down jacket goes a long way and doesn't take up much space. I'd feel pretty good about going in January again (especially knowing it probably wouldn't be any colder than it was this time).

We took out at Pearce ferry. I have mixed feelings about doing that. It does save some money in tribal and shuttle fees, but the last 40 miles are completely flat (but still moving). We spent a good part of the next to last day with our kayaks rafted together, sitting on the decks, drifting, which was a lot of fun. It might be possible to raft up boats (especially open boats) and do a night float if you can find a comfortable place to sleep on the boats. There are maybe three or four passable campsites below Separation Canyon. We ended up spending our last night camped directly below on of the tourist helicopter landing areas. They're not a problem at night, but during the day they do a good job of ruining the two weeks of solitude you've just experienced. Paddling out of the end of the canyon is pretty cool, but after that, the view for the last five miles or so is just the mud backs from old lake mead sediments. If I do it again, I'll have to think if I'd rather spend the time paddling out to Pearce, or paying the money to take out at diamond creek and spend another day or two in the heart of the canyon.

I don't think the weight saved by mailing trash out from Phantom would justify the cost. We passed Phantom on day 4, so both my trash and poo tube were still pretty light. I also felt like having extra weight in my boat was pretty nice for crashing through big stuff :-).
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

The big advantage of taking out at Pearce is not the money you save, but the time you save driving back to Flagstaff then out to Las Vegas again. Of course that logic only applies for those of us heading West.

Kyle
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

If using the raft and canoe mix it was really nice doing a 12 hr night float from sepparation down through that flat area to wake up a few mikes above pearce.(aprox 40 miles). In 2009 I paddled down past pearce to mile 298 to take out (south cove). I enjoyed that area quite a bit but aside from a crazy fun pearce ferry rapid and the salsa surf wave it was just a pretty flat ramp down from the whole canyon.
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

When it didnt get above freezing for a days I shake my head jeremy thinking about how you guys dealing with wet booties, wet drysuits and skirts. It would be nice to be there a day or two to see how it was(too tough?)...but to be all in for a week plus, wow......rewards go to those who try.
disqo
Pain Boater

Post by disqo »

I will be putting in the GC in just over a week. I am anxious and excited. There will be 15 of us with two oar rigs, myself in a L'Edge and everyone else in kayaks. We will be out 12 days and taking out at diamond creek. Any last minute advise?
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

Creeker wrote:When it didnt get above freezing for a days I shake my head jeremy thinking about how you guys dealing with wet booties, wet drysuits and skirts. It would be nice to be there a day or two to see how it was(too tough?)...but to be all in for a week plus, wow......rewards go to those who try.

Drysuits weren't too bad. I usually kept mine on (and blew it up with air) for half an hour or so once I got to camp and got it somewhat dry. The wind helped dry things. The only tough part was the neoprene cuffs wouldn't dry, and were pretty stiff in the morning. Booties... pretty much froze every night. there were maybe 3 or 4 days I didn't have to thaw them out in the morning. Even setting them next to the fire pan at night didn't help. Various approaches were to dunk them in the river until the softened up, pour boiling water on them, or set them next to the stove when I cooked breakfast. That was probably the worst part of the trip. Mittens I stuck between my PFD and drysuit while doing my final packing, that thawed them out enough to get them on. Once you accept the fact that it's cold and 'it is what it is,' it really wasn't too bad. The biggest downside was
it was hard to get moving in the morning, so we had less time for side hikes, covered fewer miles, and got into camp later than we would have otherwise.
disqo wrote:I will be putting in the GC in just over a week. I am anxious and excited. There will be 15 of us with two oar rigs, myself in a L'Edge and everyone else in kayaks. We will be out 12 days and taking out at diamond creek. Any last minute advise?
There's no such thing as 'too warm' of a sleeping bag or 'too much' booze. Also, if you don't have a pair of down booties for camp, get some (usually cost around $30, worth about 2-3x that much).
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

Take an nrs hand pump. For sure. You will be filling up the ledge. I blew out 2 GAIA air bags. I had backups under the inflated ones teathered in. I blew up my bow really quick while people ran rapids in turn.

If I run it a Fourth time I will have a full electric pump and a trickle charge going constantly all day from a solar cell tied on under the airbag lacing. I'd also get a watershed clear map bag to clip to the front bag lacing