Winter in the Grand Canyon

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wiggins
C Guru

Winter in the Grand Canyon

Post by Wiggins »

I just got off my second Grand Canyon trip last month. We launched December 14th and took out at Pearce Ferry on December 31st.

For those who don't know the National Park Service has been court ordered to start giving out more private trip permits and restructure the permit system. They have done this by creating more off season spots for permits. Winter is a great time to go, and you can practically phone in for a permit.

The weather was beautiful, during the day it was in the mid 50's to mid 60's, but below freezing at night. We had flows around 22,000 CFS, and we were sharing the whole river with less than five groups.

I took my K1 this time, but plan on returning for a OC1 self support trip. We had two rafts supporting a group of 8 (including one of Yukon's buddies Lee) with one passenger hiking out at Phantom Ranch. One other hardshell kayaker and a newbie in a IK. No hardshell swims, some moderate IK carnage, and no raft flips.

We ate great. Lots of dutch oven dinners and deserts. On Christmas we had a ham, stuffing, veggies, potatoes, and cinnamon rolls.

The water was huge! Hermit had a massive wave, Sockdolager was basically a mid river vertical wall of water, the hole in Crystal was a monstrous wave, and Lava Falls was chaos on the water (at least it felt that way, I spent most of it upside down!).

The total cost for the trip with permits, gear rental, food, and travel expenses was about $1000.

Did I mention you can scavenge drift wood for fires, no bugs, no snakes, and no scorpions? Winter trips are great!

Here are some pics from the canyon and the pre trip drive through Zion National Park:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 7cf72d9b30

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 97e5cd80ca

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 8b22dc3111

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... b902cfe232

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 61c455174e

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... d54b486887

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 1d989caff8

Why put up so many photos? I am trying to drum up interest for a all OC1 supported trip in the next few years!

Kyle
Last edited by Wiggins on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Re: Winter in the Grand Canyon

Post by Bob P »

Your links don't work. (Too long) Try placing them in between the URL tags.
Bob P
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

They should be working now.

Thanks!

Kyle
coloradopaddler
C Guru

Post by coloradopaddler »

Nice pics! It's cool to finally be able to say "I was there", or "I remember that". We paddled my caption with raft support in October with 16,000 cfs. I really miss that place! It sure was nice to have a virtually empty canoe while paddling down there.
In a canoe you don't just float down a river: you're part of it- a silent water creature responsive to every surge and flex of current, gliding like a fingertip over a naked green body. "The River Why" David James Duncan
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

Why put up so many photos? I am trying to drum up interest for a all OC1 supported trip in the next few years!
I would be interested but not in December or January (Too cold for me). I know the Grand Canyon well, having done 28 non-commercial trips. Most of them were in an OC-1, C-1 or C-2.

Jim
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Hats off to you guys... mucho experience in the big ditch. Would love to do that someday.
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

My OC supported trip is at least two years out (I have to rebuild vacation time!), but here is what I am envisioning so far:

1. Doing the trip on the shoulders of the commercial season (early spring/late fall) to avoid the crowds/insane heat/monsoon season without having to pack a ton of winter clothes, and to have somewhat longer days.

2. Running from Lees Ferry to Pearce Ferry to avoid paying tribal fees and to claim we paddled the whole canyon.

3. Doing a 15 day trip with 3-4 layover days (that averages 24-26 miles on water each day).

4. "Mule mailing" out our trash and used PVC pipe groovers at Phantom Ranch to have lighter boats for the big water that comes up shortly thereafter.

Kyle
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

a self support trip would be very very cool.
Larry
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

I'm in, seriously. Two years will give me enough time to get ready, get some time out west.

I love self support trips, I just did a double support trip (I carried all the gear for me and my kayaking friend) down the Petawawa in October.

We should seriously make this happen, because this is one area where the OC1 is best suited for, hauling gear through new country - new for me anyways.
Chris Loomis
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

Sign me up :)
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Count me in too
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

I am going to put in for a Nov 8th, 2013 permit. That seems to have a nice balance of decent odds and good weather (avg temps 68 in the day, 46 at night), while still allowing us to scavenge firewood. The end of the motor season is a real odds killer for October!

Kyle
youngwillyd
C Boater

Post by youngwillyd »

Count me in too. Did a Jan/Feb 2010 trip that was 28 days.
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

I'd be interested. I've trip led on my own permit 3 years ago for my 2nd time down and I'm mellow with just about anything going down in the way of river agenda.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Ah, good company forming up... sounding like more and more a really cool trip