Rolling a Blackfly

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Rolling a Blackfly

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Recently, I added a coupla used boats to my quiver: an old Aftershock, and a newer Blackfly playboat. I'm hoping to try them both in the playpark at WESTFEST.

The outfitting in both will need work, to fit my tiny little legs. But, with some foam scraps and duct-tape, I was able to shim them up enough to try them out in the pool.

The Aftershock was insanely easy to roll. The first time I tried, I over-rolled, and fell over on my off-side.

But the Blackfly, though fun to paddle, rolled like a sack of bricks. (I'm sure the high sides and boxy shape has something to do with it.)

So-o, I'd be grateful for some help here -- how should I tweak my rolling technique to get it up? (The Blackfly, I mean!) :roll:

Thanks in anticipation!

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Re: Rolling a Blackfly

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Not sure why you are having an issue, for me the BF rolled really well.. here's a vid so you can see someone else rolling it
http://vimeo.com/15826039" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
skangadang
C Boater

Post by skangadang »

Having the same problem with the original Blackfly. Granted my technique sucks, but can you describe what kind of roll you are doing in the video above? You almost have like a screw roll there, where you flip your body orientation all with the sweep.
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

He's doing a standard low brace roll, just flipping to his offside.

The playboats (Blackfly and Delta) are so short that they are way less forgiving of sloppy technique. The hp snap is so much more critical. When I watch people struggling to roll the playboats I see a few commonalities:

rushing - not allowing the hip snap to fully develop and roll the boat over more
body too far back, not perpendicular to the boat - this kills a lot of your hip snap's power
head pulling up - this is similar to rushing, by moving the sequence too fast you blow it
shoulders not square to the bottom - focus more on squaring your shoulders to the bottom of the river, versus just looking. this will open your hips up more and make for a stronger hip snap.

But mostly it comes down to time in boat, hitting pool sessions and working on it
Chris Loomis
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Paddle placement with them is key - try to get it out at 90 degrees and flat on surface and try to keep it there during roll. you'll get it. :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Hmm -- I'd forgotten this thread!

Update! During Blackfly's recent Demo tour in the Pacific NorthWest, I got to try a Delta. Despite sloppy outfitting (it's about my little legs), I scored a 96% roll the first time! Honest! -- As Cheeks is my witness!

While I'd love to credit improved skills, other witnesses may scoff. I suspect the Delta is small enough to roll more easily than the original Blackfly Blackfly.

The Delta's a fun little boat! If the loonie ever improves, I'll be placing an order! 8)

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !