ALF Question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Riverken
C Guru

ALF Question

Post by Riverken »

I'm thinking about going to ALF, but I want to fly in, which means I need to rent an open boat (I usually paddle an Option or an Ocoee, but I know I can't be choosy) locally for the week. Does anyone in the neighborhood rent boats (and hopefully paddles, PFD and helmet)?

Thanks for any info.
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Re: ALF Question

Post by iRolled »

I'm sure we can find you a boat to use while you're down here. It might run you a beer or two 8)

I have a whole fleet of boats ready to be paddled.
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
youngwillyd
C Boater

Post by youngwillyd »

I think I would want to bring my own paddle, pfd and helmet.
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

I'm sure you can get your PFD and helmet onto the plane. Paddle too if you try. If not, there will be plenty to borrow, including a crappy Carlisle from me if you really strike bad luck.

I doubt there will be too few open boats at ALF
Chris Loomis
Roger
C Guru

Post by Roger »

Plan to be there. Last time I brought three boats (Probe 12 II, Taureau, and my wife's Quake). Ended up paddling the Quake on all trips. Was trying to sell the Esquif boat and not sure what I would need.

Consider your selection and broaden your horizons if you be borrowing!!! Trust me, at this event a person could wander into the parking lot at Shoney's every morning with nothing and leave an hour later fully dressed and geared up to run a creek or river.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Yeah its pretty cool that way, but I would suggest trying to figure out things the day prior as you'll run into the 'that extra boats back at camp' kinda thing... man... I really wish that we would all camp at one central location (like a fairgrounds) so that people could mingle more after paddling and keep the vibe going.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Smurf do you think that would be wise. I think drinking at 7am siunds fun and all but....
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

A big enough place and it wouldn't really matter how long people party, it would just make it a longer distance Tommy has to walk to find my tent again :) Seriously though, what could be wrong with more elbow rubbing? I'd bet there would be more gear changing hands, like a week long swap meet.
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

I know ALF has always prided itself as unplanned and unorganized.

But I do agree with Smurf, it would be fun to have the festival like atmosphere, at least for the first weekend. Tommy and Gumpy can do some more bear-wrastlin again
Chris Loomis
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

Cheeks wrote:
But I do agree with Smurf, it would be fun to have the festival like atmosphere, at least for the first weekend. Tommy and Gumpy can do some more bear-wrastlin again

The first weekend should be brite nites if it's clear, full moon peaking Thursday nite...

... just sayin'
JD