Esprit Mexico Update

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

esprit
C Guru

Esprit Mexico Update

Post by esprit »

I thought I would take a moment to update everyone on our international trips to Mexico and Costa Rica.

For years we have been offering our paddling trips in Mexico with a strong and sincere focus on embracing the OC Community. Many of you have joined us over the years and have experienced both the amazing rivers as well as the warmth and hospitality of our enchanted village of Jalcomulco.

In September as security issues heated up closer to Jalcomulco we thought it prudent to suspend our operations in Mexico and change our operations to Costa Rica... giving us some time to see how the security situation in Mexico would settle. Although the security situation in Mexico is volatile to say the least, Jalcomulco remains "tranquilo" and "business as usual".

We are operating and advanced "Week of Rivers" starting this Saturday Feb. 11. This week will include both the Alsaseca and Rio de Oro, both of which were featured in "the Canoe Movie" as well a regular Week of Rivers trip Feb. 18 to 25 featuring both Eli Helbert AND Mark Scriver as guest paddlers. For those that have said "I always wanted to do that trip" now might be the best time to join us.

Our current plan "moving forward" is to operate in Costa Rica from Nov. 2012 to Mid Jan. 2013 and in Mexico from Jan. 2013 until March 2013. Depending on how the security situation plays out in Mexico we may or may not be operating here in the future...only time will tell.

If anyone wants more information about our trips or river beta for Mexico or Costa Rica feel free to PM or email me directly at jim@whitewater.ca .

Many thanks to everyone who has supported us and joined us on our trips. We really appreciate you investing your holiday time and $ with Esprit.

Happy Paddling... Hasta Pronto

Jim, Barbara, Taigan and Team Esprit
Johno
c

Re: Esprit Mexico Update

Post by Johno »

I've signed up for both weeks in Jalcomulco and am so excited I can't sit still!

There's still room left so cancel your ski trips and get in touch with Esprit.

http://youtu.be/dNbuv3ltjcA - Rio de Oro

Anyone want to join us? There's brand new L'Edges to christen :D
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Jim,

I had noticed the scheduling on your website this year, and listened to the news of things happening in that region. You post confirms what I suspected, and I applaud Esprit for balancing all of the issues: security, local knowledge, community support, as well as the natural desire to see new places. I look forward to the time that I can do one (or more) Esprit trips, hopefully in both Mexico and Costa Rica. I hope Esprit continues to have success in both countries!

Thanks,
Shep
Scriver
c

Post by Scriver »

I'm really looking forward to a week in Jalcomolco from Feb 18 to 25. Not many destinations with so many open boat friendly rivers and great boats on hand to paddle. this will be my 3rd trip and it really is a perfect paddling holiday. Jim, Barbara and the Esprit crew have all the details figured out.
Marko
esprit
C Guru

Post by esprit »

Thanks Shep for your kind words. We have always tried to do the right thing in the communities we operate in, environmentally, paddler's enjoyment and of course everyone's safety and security. We are in fact quite excited to have great programs in Mexico as well as Costa Rica. As it is hard for me to favor one over the other... you may just have to try them both (or ask a few folks that have done both already.

I look forward to you joining us soon.

Johno, Mark... see you VERY soon!

Jim
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

We paddled Mexico with Espirit last year and had a great time with awesome paddling, food, guides, hospitality the entire package was top notch. The logistics were very easy and transport was great. Local buses are very cozy and getting their from Mexico City was easy. I never felt in any kind of danger.

If you are thinking of going, go while u can cant see anyone ever regreting going. Only regreting not going. I was very keen to go this year but things did not line up. I really want to check out Costa Rica as soon as I can.

Was great that we could go and JUST PADDLE
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I'm hoping 2014 or 2015 to get south of the border for some WW...
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles