Asking about water proof Cameras

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Stingray
C Guru

Asking about water proof Cameras

Post by Stingray »

Anyone try the Pentex Optio WG 1 Digital Camera Water/shock/dirt/crush proof

If not any suggestions.

Thanks
leclercraven
C Guru

Re: Asking about water proof Cameras

Post by leclercraven »

I have a Kodak Water Sport which is really good. I've also just made a purchase of a Go Pro at a really good price!
Attachments
GO PRO.png
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I've been using the Kodak ZX5 and have been pretty happy with it. I don't do any helmet or boat mounted shots though...maybe not the best for that, but it does have a 1/4-20 mount location on the bottom. Only recommendation is to ditch the stock tether and make your own out of something stronger.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I have a Pentax Optio W80 that I got as a discontinued model last year.

My thoughts:

1. Tested very waterproof and rugged
2. Battery life is good
3. Very Rugged
4. Nice and Compact

The Less Good:

1. The Picture quality is not the best, not bad but not great. Low light performance is its biggest weakness.
2. Requires a separate external charger, it will not charge the battery from USB (extra battery's are cheap on ebay)
3. Video quality is ok but not great

Overall it is a good camera. I think that all waterproof cameras are going to be a bit of a compromise and you can't have it all. There are reviews of the Optio W80 online comparing it to the W60 (8MP) that preceded it. The general conciseness is that the 12MP W80 takes much lower quality (higher resolution) photos than the 8MP W60 due to light physics issues and density of the image capture plate.

I have not handled the WG-1 so I can't speak directly on it, only the W80. Go out and find some reviews that are looking at image quality.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

arhdc wrote:I have a Pentax Optio W80 that I got as a discontinued model last year.

My thoughts:

2. Battery life is good
3. Very Rugged
4. Nice and Compact

The Less Good:

1. The Picture quality is not the best, not bad but not great. Low light performance is its biggest weakness.
2. Requires a separate external charger, it will not charge the battery from USB (extra battery's are cheap on ebay)

Overall it is a good camera. I think that all waterproof cameras are going to be a bit of a compromise and you can't have it all. There are reviews of the Optio W80 online comparing it to the W60 (8MP) that preceded it. The general conciseness is that the 12MP W80 takes much lower quality (higher resolution) photos than the 8MP W60 due to light physics issues and density of the image capture plate.
I also have the W80 it is good for on the river quick pictures and would have to agree with arhdc review. It does have a nice high speed sequence picture mode at the 7megapixel setting.
Stingray
C Guru

Post by Stingray »

Thanks for the input, The W1 is a new verison I guess, it has 14 mp and alot of other good stuff, sounds like they made some improvement over the last couple models. I think I might get it.
Keep the reviews coming I haven't got one yet.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

AJ wrote:
arhdc wrote:I have a Pentax Optio W80 that I got as a discontinued model last year.

My thoughts:

2. Battery life is good
3. Very Rugged
4. Nice and Compact

The Less Good:

I also have the W80 it is good for on the river quick pictures and would have to agree with arhdc review. It does have a nice high speed sequence picture mode at the 7megapixel setting.
Ditto... all my pics on f'book and here - have been with it.

2 additional cons - really doesn't like real cold weather, and no lens cover (so I keep mine inside a thin collapsible neoprene beer hugger)
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    Stingray
    C Guru

Post by Stingray »

This is the one I'm looing at.
    It looks like they make some improvement (base on discussion) I'm no expert. Thought this might make it easier for those who know about camera

I noticed there was no lens cover, they bragg about a protective coating, wonder how well that holds up. I would travel with a case until I want to use it, then its expose to the elements, cause I don't want to keep putting in a bag, maybe my pocket or inside my vest.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-ca ... duct-specs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks again.
    arhdc
    CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

Just looking on the web:

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/defa ... io+wg1+gps

There is nothing that is too shocking here. I looks like the WG-1 may have a little bit better image quality than my W80. Here is one of the better reviews of the Optio W80

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/ ... e_quality/

And one of the Optio WG-1 GPS from the same site
    http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/ ... ps_review/

Pentax has been making waterproof cameras for a wile now and seems to be able to turn out a serviceable and durable product.
    ~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
    Mike W.
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I've been using a Pentax W90 for a few years. The only things I don't like are:
    1 - Water drops on the lense. These are tough to get off sometimes. Dipping it in the water & bringing it out upright seems to help the most.
    2 - The shape of the bottom makes it tricky to set it on a rock for interval shots.

I just clip it to my life jacket & tuck it between my life jacket & chest. I play like it's not there & it's ready to whip out for a quick shot.
    Kelly-Rand
    CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

I have an Olympus Tough 3000. It has worked well for me. I can charge it with USB and the picture quality has been great for my needs. I've taken movies in low light levels and under water and have been pleased with its performance.
    Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
    a C-1 I will stand"
    Mike W.
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Here are 3 I took today w/ the Pentax W90.

nanook
    c

Post by nanook »

I got a ELPH 300 on sale and then picked up the waterproof case @Henerys for $50. Only good to 10m but think thats fine for 90% of what I do. Its also a tiny camera which is nice around town
    leclercraven
    C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

Mike W. wrote:Here are 3 I took today w/ the Pentax W90.

You lucky southern friends! Boating in February...I only wish! 4 feet of snow up here, with lakes and rivers totally frozen!
    Mike W.
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

leclercraven wrote:You lucky southern friends! Boating in February...I only wish! 4 feet of snow up here, with lakes and rivers totally frozen!
    The only ice we get is in sweet tea. 8)

Did I mention this is a park & play spot that's 5 minutes from the house & now that the sun is setting later I can hit it after work? :D