Anyone planning to produce a longer OC1 in PE?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

PatrickOC1
C Guru

Re: Anyone planning to produce a longer OC1 in PE?

Post by PatrickOC1 »

boatbuster wrote:Re. Why is the Prelude so much lighter than the L'Edge? I see Craig's explanation above. An OC1 doesn't have to have the volume of the L'Edge to be good. I would be happy with a longer prelude (with a flatter bottom )
Think the detonator comes in at 10' that would be a nice boat in PE.... no idea how the volume of that would change the necesary weight but that would be a nice flat bottomed 10 footer.
kanur
C Guru

Post by kanur »

boatbuster wrote:Re. Why is the Prelude so much lighter than the L'Edge? I see Craig's explanation above. An OC1 doesn't have to have the volume of the L'Edge to be good. I would be happy with a longer prelude (with a flatter bottom).
My Prelude comes in at 50# and my L'Edge at 51# both with wood gunnels, bags, saddle, bulkhead, pump and battery 8) I think Louie also has a lighter L'Edge.
Dennis

"Just Cause I Don't Run My Mouth Don't Mean I Got Nothing To Say" Mike Cooley DBT
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

kanur wrote:
... and my L'Edge at 51# both with wood gunnels, bags, saddle, bulkhead, pump and battery 8)
?

How in the world???
JD
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

Must be thinner or something. Mine is 65lbs outfitted, no pump. That's a really big difference.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

ian123 wrote:Must be thinner or something. Mine is 65lbs outfitted, no pump. That's a really big difference.
Must be metric...

65 pounds? good grief, I'll shut up about my boats now...
youngwillyd
C Boater

Post by youngwillyd »

How can you get a 51# L'Edge both with wood gunnels, bags, saddle, bulkhead, pump and battery ?

The web site says they weigh 56#. Aren't the decks 10 or 12# ?
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

If you are interested in a lighter L'Edge contact Esquif. Jacques said they will make them by request. Just know that to make them lighter they are thinner- great for big water, deeper water, but risky if you are doing low water creeking. There is not as much plastic on the bottom to take big rock hits like the heavier versions. I love mine and choose where I will paddle it. 48 pounds outfitted minus airbags. I think of it as a river runner, rather than a full on creeker.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Wendy, sounds like you need two. ;-)
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

This post finally tempted me to weigh my L'edge. Open model with bags: 63 lbs. Looks like I got a fat one.