OC1 Carrying

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Re: OC1 Carrying

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

the under 10fters carry extremely well using ur head - head to the saddle, grab thrwart in front of you with one hand to help balanced. if your seat is carved right, and it matches with the helmet - you hardly even need to use any hands.

Of course this depends on how your built - if you have strong neck and traps - u hardly notice carrying the boat.

I find you get to much pressure point and too one sided carrying when boat is on the shoulder.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
canoemid
C Guru

Post by canoemid »

The Webbing Yoke is still listed on the Mohawk site with a pic.
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

FullGnarlzOC wrote:the under 10fters carry extremely well using ur head - head to the saddle, grab thrwart in front of you with one hand to help balanced. if your seat is carved right, and it matches with the helmet - you hardly even need to use any hands.

Of course this depends on how your built - if you have strong neck and traps - u hardly notice carrying the boat.

I find you get to much pressure point and too one sided carrying when boat is on the shoulder.

I agree with you about the pressure point, I think that contributed to my shoulder pains last year. And the whole marketing gimmick Stohlquist has about the non-slip padding for the PFD straps is BS. It's a great vest, but that's one concept that hasn't quite had the kinks worked out
Chris Loomis
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

WEBBING YOKE
2" wide webbing portage yoke. Rolls up out of the way when not in use
scroll down at
http://www.mohawkcanoes.com/accessories.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

I tend to have to alternate from head to shoulder on long carries. Side foam glued to the inside of the hull makes a tremendous difference. The pressure is distributed and the gunwale doesn't dig in to your shoulder. My foam is beefy, 3" at least, but it's cut 3/4" away from the gunwale so you can still grab it easy.

In my old Viper 11, (no foam) I carried a foam block designed to pad kayaks on roof racks. The slot on the backside clipped onto the inside of the Gunwale and allowed for similar padding. I shoved it under the airbag on runs with a long hike out.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

At this point, I always carry my boat on my left shoulder. (Arthritis in my right makes any pressure uncomfortable.)

Here's my padding:

Bob P
youngwillyd
C Boater

Post by youngwillyd »

http://www.amtraders.com/pricing/riggin ... ortage.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting info about how and why to carry a heavy canoe.
youngwillyd
C Boater

Post by youngwillyd »

http://dagger.com/kayaking101/all/artic ... ing-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This may be worth looking into a little more.
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I'll 2nd Tommy McKnarls statement, with my short (9'6") StinkeyeX I find that I can often wear my boat like a hat. If my neck starts to get tired I can shift a bit and get the back of the saddle onto my traps and support some of the weight. I need to do this often as my wife really doesn't like to carry her :cry: kayak :cry: and I wind up with both boats or at least one end of hers.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

CurlyFries wrote:So your saying rest the boat so the back of the saddle is on your shoulders/back of neck balancing with an arm and the bow is pointing to the ground?
only occasionally bow down - when readjusting pressure

Although normally I try to keep bow slightly elevated, so the bow dragging of-which Wendy spoke is not even remotely in question. Not sure what to make about this thread, as canoes generally carry so much better and easier than most kayaks, at least our short whitewater boats. In fact I usually carry ahead and faster than all but the strongest&youngest of kayakers (up hill or down).

Outfitting will make a substantial difference. My 'Fly has a inch higher than standard Pyranha (Frankie - Team Edge) saddle, without any extra foam build-up immediately behind sitting area. Which I've never really seen a reason for (if using foot or toe blocks), as it inhibits carrying. And also limits repositioning, which optionally controls trim, comfort, and level of clothing.
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^