'Edge Hull (Chine) Shape

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Jon
C Guru

'Edge Hull (Chine) Shape

Post by Jon »

What is the L'Edge hull shape supposed to do in comparison to others - esp the chine area with that funny indentation and rail? The chine on an Ocoee is 'sharp' and it carves turns like an ice slate or ski edge. The chine on a Rival is rounder and it doesn't carve the same but is less likely to get grabbed by the current if you don't get a proper tilt on. The L'Edge in comparison is ...?
ian123
CBoats Addict

Re: 'Edge Hull (Chine) Shape

Post by ian123 »

To me it feels a bit like a short chunky Ocoee. Definitely has a hard chine. There was a thread on here a few months ago that was comparing the hull shape of a few different boats. Very interesting. Try looking it up.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Jon wrote:What is the L'Edge hull shape supposed to do in comparison to others - esp the chine area with that funny indentation and rail? The chine on an Ocoee is 'sharp' and it carves turns like an ice slate or ski edge. The chine on a Rival is rounder and it doesn't carve the same but is less likely to get grabbed by the current if you don't get a proper tilt on. The L'Edge in comparison is ...?
A little bit of both! Water coming into-across the hull edge will form a vortex in the indentation, approximating the effects of a larger edge radius. But - if you lean the boat, water catches on the opposite edge. So, in theory, the boat is "soft" when flat and catchy on the inside edge when you lean.

I can't say how well the L'Edge does, but my "Tri-hull-design" boats also stay on top of the water better than my conventional-hull boats, making them very fast in wavy/choppy water. Also, leaning the boat makes the boat turn strongly away from the lean, making ferrying out of eddies very easy.
Bob P
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

the edge is similar to those found on the CUFly which is looser but it'll carve just like every Ocoee I've ever had (which were all pulled in) if you use your outside edge. :wink:

http://vimeo.com/15501310" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spanish Fly

CU Fly

L'edge

If you want it to be snappier or to have a harder edge... start pulling in the thwarts.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 19522e26ea" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Alan S
C Boater

Post by Alan S »

Hey Craig,

How far are people pulling them in?
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

I am not Craig, but if you search thru the threads and FB you will find 1/2 to 1 inch pulling in on the thwarts. One of the tricks I use to ferry almost as crisply as in an Ocoee is to use the upstream edge for tight must make moves. Had a blast today playing in the black L'Edge- surfing, 360s, attaining.
Jon
C Guru

Post by Jon »

Hi Wendy. By "One of the tricks I use to ferry almost as crisply as in an Ocoee is to use the upstream edge for tight must make moves.", do you mean using an outside tilt to make snappier moves into an eddy? When ferrying I find it best to keep the boat (other boats?) flat.

As far as pulling the thwarts in, does this not round the bottom out (which I understand is not a good thing) and decrease the secondary stability (which may or may not be a good thing, depending), and decrease the rocker, which will improve tracking at the expense of manoeuverability.

Any comments on making the boat asymetrical? Perhaps like a Spark - fatter at the bow than the stern. I know that is not how it was designed by THE CREATOR, but ...?
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Outside tilt does make a snappier eddy turn, but I use the upstream edge to ferry- slight tilt results in a very fast and straighter ferry. Phil taught me this for racing and I use it racing and creeking. There is a thread about what it does to the bottom of the hull. Later I will try to find the link for you with the search feature.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

I'll measure out my other boats later...
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

:wink: Isn't Canada on the metric system ?
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    ian123
    CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

Isn't everyone on the metric system?
    TheKrikkitWars
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

ian123 wrote:Isn't everyone on the metric system?
    All the cool kids use S.I. units!
    Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
    Craig Smerda
    L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

since y'all love doing conversions so much... http://www.worldwidemetric.com/measurements.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    philcanoe
    C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

not copyrighted - from: Hydrocarbon Processing, 1981 April
      ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
      Craig Smerda
      L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Jon wrote:As far as pulling the thwarts in, does this not round the bottom out (which I understand is not a good thing) and decrease the secondary stability (which may or may not be a good thing, depending), and decrease the rocker, which will improve tracking at the expense of manoeuverability.

From my past experiences pulling in Ocoee's and with the L'edge when you pull the thwarts in it mainly changes the flare and has little if any effect on the roundness of the bottom of the hull mainly due to the boxy-ness of the inital hull design. When you change the flare (create less of it) you essentially change the waterline by allowing the boat to sink further into the water and increases the amount of sidewall/edge that interacts with the water. Increasing the waterline by pulling the thwarts in can improve upon speed but the more you pull it in the more you decrease it's overall stability.

This make sense?

I would never bother pulling in a round hulled boat. See the picture of the SpanishFly as an example.
      Last edited by Craig Smerda on Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.