Octane

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

markzak
CBoats Addict

Re: Octane

Post by markzak »

Having paddled the prototype tandem (Octane 92), I will honestly say that this tandem boat is the most fun I have ever had on the water. That's a big statement and I'm confidently standing behind it. Think about how much fun the Blackfly Ion is and then add the multiplier of having a friend in the boat with you to share the good times.

Look for Blackfly Canoes on the move:

PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

So Mark (can't remember) you a righty or lefty? Thinking of "Options" (actually "Octanes")! 8)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
klund
c

Post by klund »

Very cool Jeremy!

Any chance you'll be making it to Colorado this year (Lyons Outdoor Games, FibARK, etc...)?
boathead
C Guru

Post by boathead »

Jeremy....You have done it again. I purchased an Ion from you for my wife last summer, and she loves it. I can't believe you have followed up this super little design with one designed for the "Big Guys". Can only imagine how much fun one of these would be on our class II/III rock garden rivers here in Northern Wisconsin. The tandem would be a hoot, but at 235lbs I would have to find about a 55 lb. team mate to paddle bow. Ha,ha!
Availability, colors? black, blue etc......You need to get a dealer in the Upper Midwest. Seriously, I am certain you are not looking for that as of yet.....but I do think you could move them in this area....A lot of good open boaters here!
Am very interested and will watch for further developments.
.............................thanks for moving our sport forward.....................
the Boathead
"You don't beat this river, Chubby"..........
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

Specs are 8'10.5" long, 31" wide, 16" deep. Outfitted weight with airbags is about 59lbs (I still need to double check that). It's a BIG boat for as short as it is. I got to paddle the solo yesterday, and at 170lbs, it felt big, but still felt extremely agile and very dry. I still need to get some more pictures of it, but things have been very busy here lately, and I figured paddling it was more important.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

It looks like something that George Lucas would have strapped a couple of fake engine pods to for Star Wars. Very Sweet.

You are making me rethink my current push to drop enough weight to have the Option of paddling an Ion.

I'm with PAC, where are you going to be demoing this spring so that we can get some hands on impressions of the awesome Options you are offering?
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

(you can't get this color, this is only one, and it's mine!)
Current color choices are lime green or black. I'm planning on being at ALF, the Armada and Cheat fest.

more pictures Here*

*even if you aren't on Facebook, you can still click this link and see the pictures. It's not that scary to do, it (probably) won't steal you soul.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
djutzi
C Guru

Post by djutzi »

Looks great!

Just to confirm, OCtane92 is the same hull as OCtane91, with different outfitting, correct?

DJ
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

(you can't get this color, this is only one, and it's mine!)
Too bad. It looks great! I can't wait to see some video of folks paddling that bad boy.

Lot's of cool photos on your Facebook gallery too. (My soul remains intact).
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

djutzi wrote:Looks great!

Just to confirm, OCtane92 is the same hull as OCtane91, with different outfitting, correct?

DJ
That's correct. OC-1/OC-2, the 'tane 9' is the same.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
Will
c

Post by Will »

Jeremy/Blackfly -- I am very impressed

Doing what you love and making a living out of it - "Genius"

Keeping boats in price competition with kayaks - "Genius"

Going public with a prototype and then following up with the real deal in very short time frame - "Genius"

Developing one mold to meet two market demands (Octane) - "Genius"

Teaser preview of your ability to make a two tone colored boat "Priceless"

Keep up the good work!
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I looked at the OCtane 91 and it seemed uninspiring; Then I looked at the OCtane 92 and knew it was inspired...

It looks like the kick up the butt that OC2 has been needing for a long time.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
kx250guy
Pain Boater

Post by kx250guy »

Looks a whole lot like a Mohawk Maxim
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Re: Octane 91 Solo Review

Post by horizongfx »

I had a Great time time in the Octane 91 Yesterday on the Tellico Ledges, This boat as a solo has a Pretty big footprint on the water, I think this boat as a solo will appeal to the folks coming out of royalex Vipers and Ocoees, It is so very stable, several times during the run i was able to sit on the rear thwart comfortably and paddle without fear of tipping over. It has Plenty of edge for carving into eddies and the speed seems equal to if not slightly faster than My L'edge, boofs like a dream with stable controlled landings, And is the Driest Open Canoe I've ever paddled, (a Title which I formally awarded my L'edge). The Octane Tracks Pretty well for a 8'-10" Boat , and Is quite nimble despite it cumbersome appearance.In the Hole surfing the octane with it's super flat planing Hull, maintains many of the Traits of its little brother the ion, It side surf back surfs and flat spins360's like it's on auto pilot. Weight ? I weighed both boats side by side yesterday on a scale, the Octane with Pump, Battery and air bags (60") weighed in at 64.4 Compared to 68.2 For the L'edge with Pump, Battery and 48" airbags. As a reference I Weigh about 234 lbs right now :wink:
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
CurlyFries
Pain Boater

Post by CurlyFries »

Sweet!

Its awesome seeing so many great looking boats come out.