Why do Open boaters whine so much about kayakers??

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

nrjoel
C Boater

Why do Open boaters whine so much about kayakers??

Post by nrjoel »

I never hear deck boaters bitchen and moaning about open boaters.... actually quite the opposite occurs in the kayaking community. Most good open boaters get a lot of respect from the kayak community.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Why do Open boaters whine so much about kayakers??

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

nrjoel wrote:I never hear deck boaters bitchen and moaning about open boaters.... actually quite the opposite occurs in the kayaking community. Most good open boaters get a lot of respect from the kayak community.
Yeah, you've clearly only seen one side of the coin with buttboaters...

But for my part I don't whine about buttboaters because they're almost exclusively who I paddle with and for the most part understand that I'm doing what I'm doing because I enjoy it, just like they're doing what they're doing because they enjoy that.

Of course that doesn't mean I don't yank their chains a bit... I daresay that most of the "whining" is just that, light hearted jockularities, rather than open boaters being seriously affronted by people kayakng... Unless you've seen otherwise.

I don't even see what there is to moan about with kayakers, they're just there either as friends or like moving rocks...
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
CurlyFries
Pain Boater

Post by CurlyFries »

I've never seen open boaters hating on kayakers. In my group of paddling buddies there is for sure some joking around going on. Real men don't wear skirts... But then again, my boat is broken because it has a giant hole in the top. Right?

A lot of kayakers respect open boaters. I have also heard kayakers bashing open boaters for making things harder. Apparently we always swim too? :lol:

I've never seen any real bashing of kayakers from open boaters.

Maybe share what made you want to make this post?

IMO all paddlers are cool. Any hate in my paddling circle is purely for jokes.

Dave
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

nrjoel wrote:I never hear deck boaters bitchen and moaning about open boaters.... actually quite the opposite occurs in the kayaking community. Most good open boaters get a lot of respect from the kayak community.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esw2pL6we_0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JD
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

They sure as hades aren't laughing with us there...
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

I still enjoy listening to Mark Scriver's "fiery" response in that video. Thanks for bringing that one back up eddyhops. :lol:

So let me see if I understand this original post correctly--there is a comment here about open boaters whining about kyackers? Really? Was there something that happened to kick off this post? It's a pretty generalized comment about whining. People whine in general regardless of what boat they're in. People whine in their cars. People whine at work. People whine while doing work around the house (okay, that one is a little too personal to me :lol: ). What brought this comment to the forum? I'm curious.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

Kayakers are people too. However, there are douche bags on both sides of the fence. Just paddle and have fun regardless of what others say and think. You dig.
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Post by horizongfx »

iRolled wrote:Kayakers are people too. However, there are douche bags on both sides of the fence. Just paddle and have fun regardless of what others say and think. You dig.
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
Paddler
Pain Boater

Post by Paddler »

I think it might have something to do with the swim ratio. I won't pretend that I paddle with OC boaters, mostly because I haven't seen many in the Pacific Northwest, and the only C-1er I know runs spirit falls on the little white and I've never seen him swim. But as an outside observer and former Southeastern boater, I could understand the frustration of cleaning up OC yardsales, pushing gear to the shore is frustrating enough as it is, but I even more so if they had been able to roll. This is even more frustrating in the crowded rivers like the SE where you frequently are on the river with strangers and are put in a position where you have to assist in a rescue that is not associated with your group (after all river safety is everybody's responsibility). Again I speak only as a armchair observer but it seems that the swim ratio from the OC community is a bit higher than most kayak communities.

Also as another observational note: this question (or a version of it) gets asked about once every 2 months.
The line will become apparent
nrjoel
C Boater

Post by nrjoel »

Huhhh... well this thought stems from the quantity of public posts on canoe forums that mock, tease or downplay kayakers and/or their skill. It just seems that open boaters are poking at deck boaters way more often. I just dont see many kayakers being caught up in the banter.
As for the video... looks pretty outdated.
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

nrjoel wrote:Why do Open boaters whine so much about kayakers??.
Because kayakers don't use pumps?
JD
nrjoel
C Boater

Post by nrjoel »

Interesting.... if in fact this question gets asked every 2 months?!! Must be something to it if that is true.

So on a hike the other day I found myself watching some ALF carnage last week on the hike of the Little River in the Smokies. And of course there is an open boater swimming in some class 2 no name on the run.
Which brought me to wonder while watching this.... why do Open boaters haggle kayakers so often?? I just dont see kayakers really given those jokes that much time and effort... especially on public forums. Sure... I kid my paddling partners about crap as they do on me but I dont see the public displays of humor and or hating on Boatertalk or other primarily deck orientated forums.

The swim issue is a whole other thread that probably gets repeated discussion as well. Lets save it for dryer times. :wink:

PS. I paddle both types of crafts.
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

JD
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

nrjoel wrote:Huhhh... well this thought stems from the quantity of public posts on canoe forums that mock, tease or downplay kayakers and/or their skill. It just seems that open boaters are poking at deck boaters way more often. I just dont see many kayakers being caught up in the banter.
As for the video... looks pretty outdated.
the only real mocking of kayakers that I ever noticed here was from lewis. imo made him seem insecure. i don't look at other canoe forums so I can't speak to that.
Larry