Why do Open boaters whine so much about kayakers??

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Why do Open boaters whine so much about kayakers??

Post by KNeal »

nrjoel wrote:Huhhh... well this thought stems from the quantity of public posts on canoe forums that mock, tease or downplay kayakers and/or their skill. It just seems that open boaters are poking at deck boaters way more often. I just dont see many kayakers being caught up in the banter.
As for the video... looks pretty outdated.
Okay, draw up some posts bashing kyackers from this forum please. I know kyacker bashing has happened here, but what ones are still on your mind?
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

This whole thing goes WAY back and I think that it really is mostly good natured. Heck, a friend of mine who started as an open boater, then c-1er and now is a kayaker (he can't kneel any more) who teaches kayaking makes fun of kayakers and boasts of the powers of single bladers.

I have seen some OC hate from kayakers who seem to think of us as large eddie hogging fools clinging to the past (not in as many words but with a lot of four letter words repeated over and over). I also think that there is an issue of them not wanting to deal with the OC yard sales that they perceive as being a problem.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
chops78
c

Post by chops78 »

seems like this thread was started by a kyacker whining bout open boaters..l..
johnd
C Guru

Post by johnd »

I'm glad you asked. I have driven 250 miles to some Class II-III river trip put on by a kayaker club, only to have no one want to boat with me. I got in one day of boating after some hazing regarding my roll capability. I was suddenly not popular. It was like you needed a secret handshake or something. Was it because I forgot the breath mints? I couldn't figure it out. Eventually, after more experiences, I figured out it was because they didn't like the canoe. It wasn't just me they didn't like. Of course, after reading enough of my emails, some people might beg to differ on that last point.

Is that reason enough? I can provide more reasons, if you want.

No offense to the friendly kayakers. They're probably all reformed canoeists though, and shouldn't count.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

kayaks get more cute girls on the water and that is good thing. for i am a man in a canoe. :-?
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Whiners whine, boaters boat, and kayakers kie yaks.....whatever that means.

there's more kayakers so ergo ther's more kayak egos, but canoes are usually bigger so can float bigger egos.

whatever, on a side note, after paddling a week of ALF, I think im now ready to go paddle ALF.
Proud Yankee
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

hazardharry wrote:kayaks get more cute girls on the water and that is good thing. for i am a man in a canoe. :-?
I'm not convinced of that argument, most of the female kayakers I know are short, violent and acutely aware of the advances of hopeless males... All lovely people, but not the kind that would take kindly to that insinuation, unless you get a kick out of being "bashed over the head with a bailing bucket, draged out of your boat and have your jockstrap 'binered to a passing raft", each to their own.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Bob Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Bob Wiggins »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:
hazardharry wrote:kayaks get more cute girls on the water and that is good thing. for i am a man in a canoe. :-?
I'm not convinced of that argument, most of the female kayakers I know are short, violent and acutely aware of the advances of hopeless males... All lovely people, but not the kind that would take kindly to that insinuation, unless you get a kick out of being "bashed over the head with a bailing bucket, draged out of your boat and have your jockstrap 'binered to a passing raft", each to their own.
Nealy said it best......
On that and many other topics.
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

on the other side of the pond it's vice versa, the yakers whine about the little open boaters there are....

we open boaters and c1ers laugh a bit about the buttboaters, but just jokingly and in a friendly manner. The buttboaters on the other hand believe that OC's are heavy and unsuitable for the tough stuff. Since I don't own an OC for financial reasons, I do C1 and even in a decked cboat, I get big eyes and comments and respect. And when showing up in an OC in decent whitewater, you see buttboaters with their mouth wide open and stare at us while they are loosing their religion (dunno in what other way to explain it). They just don't believe that you can run the tough stuff in OC until they see it, and I bet, that I some buttboaters will want to tell me to leave the river when I bring an OC as my ride
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle