Big Stable Boats

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Big Stable Boats

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

As has been prevously noted, I have a strong preference for displacement hulled creekboats. However, the general trade-off is that I have to use a low saddle and put up with a cramped foot position to counteract the instability that arises from the intrinsic roundedness of the hull, as my leg muscles seem to insist on continuing to grow this is becoming increasingly painful.

So with this in mind I've been thinking about moving to a flatter hulled boat, but If I can't feel stable with a 6-7 inch saddle, then I might as well just get another Jefe-Grande and suck it up.

Thus, can anyone recommend boats which are stable with a high saddle and will adequately float a 95kg/210lb paddler.

Boats I'm already considering are the Everest, Stomper 90 and (new) Mamba 8.6... I also have a suspicion that the Large 2010 Burn might agree with me more than the older model did.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
youngwillyd
C Boater

Re: Big Stable Boats

Post by youngwillyd »

I have a Stomper 90. My seat is 8 inches just like in my OC1. The Stomper seems very stable to me.
griffen_williams
C Guru

Post by griffen_williams »

I have a 7 inch saddle in my Karnali and its a great boat to run down the Green. Super stable, fast, dry and friendly if you havnt been in the water for a little bit. When i bought it from Bernie at Whitewater Warehouse it had an 8.5 inch saddle or so in it. My first day paddling it i was on the Upper Gauley.
GW
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Saddle in my Karnali is 7.25" and good to go.