Phiend Prototype Clip at a Slalom

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Creeker
CBoats Addict

Phiend Prototype Clip at a Slalom

Post by Creeker »

I'm no slalom paddler but here is a Phiend Prototype clip.

http://vimeo.com/39292690" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Re: Phiend Prototype Clip at a Slalom

Post by TNbound »

Is it wrong that I like that color scheme? :o

How does she feel in terms of speed next to an Option and a Prelude?
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
doomroller
c

Post by doomroller »

Definitely keep the moniker "creeker" and not "slalomer", but the boat does look good. I don't see the tipping of from side to side notorious in the Maxim. Really looking forward to trying it out and some footage on the steeps.

Thanks GMan.
youngwillyd
C Boater

Post by youngwillyd »

I was fortunate to get to paddle the prototype for a few minutes at the Telico. It definitely doesn't have the tipping from side to side that the Maxim had. I only test paddled the Maxim for a few minutes but I could see from the side to side tipping that it wasn't a boat for me. The prototype felt like most other longer canoes that I have paddled when you leaned it from side to side. You could put it on edge and keep it there if need be. The Ledge seemed to me to want to stay flat when paddled. I am taller than 6 foot and 225 pounds. The Pheind should be plenty big enough for me.
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

Anthony, its hard to judge but I don't think the Phiend with smooth plastic will be that much slower. I expect about the same speed.

I can bring a lot of paddling experience from K1 to OC1 but good slalom technique sure isn't part of that.....I'm just gonna have to put the hammer down with some solid effort after the pool season ends here in a few weeks.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Stop correcting and just charge dammit! UP UP UP! :P [/Irrationally angry slalom spectator mode]
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Hey Wayne, what pool were you using? Was that at the Lehigh Valley Canoe Club's annual pool slalom or some other location?

John
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Post by Longboatin »

U definitely need to lose the looong stroke to goon stroke. U using dabbing strokes sometimes, just use them at all times
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

I wasn't competing, just letting my daughter see dad doing it so she would too. For only 54 days on water with a c blade in my hand, with a bum shoulder, I'm pretty happy just getting out with my daughter running gates. I did check out a UK slalom site today and was really interested in some of the strokes. They just might be the next challenge because I'm pretty much satisfied with big waterfalls this spring.
http://www.slalomtechnique.co.uk/view-c ... p?skill=41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

10 yards of 6oz 50" fiberglass are somewhere between Rhode Island and NJ destined for a weekend project.

Yes John LVKCC club pool in easton. I liked that pool but I was having a devil of a time working with Katelyn in the 2nd pool. It was 12ft deep and trying to get her to roll pushed up a couple inches forward was hard and unproductive. However Katelyn did well on the course and that was the goodness for the night. http://vimeo.com/39133136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I thought the original post was for us to have a look at the Phiend, not critique GMan's stroke technique. I appreciate Wayne taking the time and effort to make the video. Thanks.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

I just watched the rolling video of Katelyn rolling (and other river stuff). All that stuff makes you "number one cool dad"!

Oh, and you need to take more smooth and powerful strokes in the other video. :lol: :wink:
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

John Sweet and John Burton (slow motion) demonstrate the English gate sequence (1971)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiXoC2kz ... ture=share" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

Craig Smerda wrote:John Sweet and John Burton (slow motion) demonstrate the English gate sequence (1971)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiXoC2kz ... ture=share" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow, that's one inspiring piece of footage! Thanks Craig
JD
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

its ok Cheajack I pretty much knew what I was in for. I'll try and get more clips up in time.
that was a pretty amazing video craig
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Craig Smerda wrote:John Sweet and John Burton (slow motion) demonstrate the English gate sequence (1971)
Those must be pretty tippy boats :-)