Half the paddle...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

avlclimber
C Guru

Half the paddle...

Post by avlclimber »

So I'm slicing a gently used AB edge into two or three pieces to become a breakdown for my prelude/general spare/unknown future use.

Question: where to saw it in half.

I'm willing to try making a three piece, but it will I think fit in my current boat as two and that would be less cuts/work/weakness. I have seen breakdowns where the attachment is down very near the blade, but I worry that there is part of the blade inside that will interfere with the interior shunt connector, so I am lothe to put it closer than... 6 inches?. If it ends up right where my shaft hand sits, is that an issue strength-wise?

advice, y'all? Also, it is 62" and will end up shorter, possibly w/ a different t-grip. This gives me some leeway. (I wonder should breakdowns be shorter than your average paddle?)

Thanks.
Trex
Pain Boater

Re: Half the paddle...

Post by Trex »

I have a factory cut 58 inch AB Edge 2 piece. It's measures 24 inches from the top of the t-grip to the cut. This lets me move my lower hand around without ever contacting the button even choking up for something like a cross shift. I imagine you would also want to keep the splice out of the part of the shaft that hits the gunnel if you're into a lot of pry strokes. I have no idea where the cuts are made on the 3 piece models. My primary paddle is also 58 inch and I can't see any advantage to making the backup shorter unless you're really cramped for space.
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

The three piece photo from Creeker illustrates that the bottom 5 inches or so of shaft is taken up with the blade.

Realistically, a two piece might be all I get out if it then.

It looks like they make their 3 piece by not gluing the blade in, but instead having a push button connector. has anyone tried to remove a blade before? Would it work just like the T-grip trick and you heat it up and twist? How likely would it be that I could get the blade out, and clean up the glue etc enough to be able to re-attach it as a three piece like the photo shows?
also, Is the blade actually hollow @ the shaft end such that the same button connector would work?

I will probably just saw it in half to make a two piece, but anybody tried this?
Trex
Pain Boater

Post by Trex »

Take a look at the beginning of this video. It shows the AB Edge being assembled. Should answer all your questions.

http://www.fullgnarlz.com/videos/featured/video/87" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I have a 60" 2-piece Werner Bandit that fits just fine in my Prelude. I've also installed a 2-piece 57" AquaBound in my wife's Prelude. No need to go to a 3-piece and add another point of potential failure.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

..but if you ever want to put it in a c1...
three pcs would give you more options.
chances are you'll use it for an hour once every five years, so I wouldn't worry about one joint vs two. actually breakdowns wear more from carrying them than paddling. so the better it fits in your boat, the less chance it'll get ruined.
Larry
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I use a 3 piece in my C1.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;