Big Dog Force OC1 - Outfitting is finished!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bob mckee
C Boater

Big Dog Force OC1 - Outfitting is finished!

Post by bob mckee »

It's done! Big Dog Force OC1 outfitting is finished. There’s some photos in the link below…….please excuse the quality they were a bit of a rush job taken before work this morning (hence the layers of dust in a couple of the pictures!) I hope to have some better quality snaps soon. These ones don’t really do it justice but they give you an idea.

Moulding of all the internals is beginning in earnest now and full production boats will start to roll out over the next week.

This is an OC1 that you can just pick up off the shelf and get paddling with minimal fuss. If of course you're the kind of person who still loves foam then it's super easy to take the moulded outfitting out and replace it with whatever suits you. Everything is designed to be really user friendly and customizable to however you’d like it.

The outfitting gives a really nice positive fit.

A top tip from me would be the trim of the Force. Get your boat set up so it's slightly bow light. It'll paddle a lot better like this.

The bulk-head is foam which is attached to the saddle. All you've got to do is shape it to your needs.

The next big outing for the Force OC1 will be at the Big Dog Moriston River Race at the start of May. One canoe against forty-nine kayaks…..I’d better get training.

I'm super stoked. I love the boat and it's awesome to have it finished. Happy boofing!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1054299602 ... RollingOut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Re: Big Dog Force OC1 - Outfitting is finished!

Post by the great gonzo »

Nice :D !

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Nice job!
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Smurfwarrior wrote:Nice job!
Dibs on a ride in one at WESTFEST! :P
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

You bet!! :)
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Looking Good!
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

How much does it weigh outfitted? A new open boater who would like to know. (For my buds- I am not buying another boat, yet again)
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

Do we know yet when and where will they be available to purchase??
Cheers
bob mckee
C Boater

Post by bob mckee »

Weight wise......I'm not sure to be honest. Picking one up it feels around the same maybe slightly heavier that your average creek kayak. I think they come in at about 18 kg these days. Let me check that and get back to you. I've been hiking 750 metres back to the top of a local river three or four times in a day, without any stress (well no more than usual!) so it's not a killer load.

Availability.......they're rolling off the production line this week so they're gonna hit the shops over the next couple of weeks. Get your shops to order them up!
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

Anybody have a link to their website? :-? The site I've found is under construction. :x I'd like to get more info as well as the price $.
bob mckee
C Boater

Post by bob mckee »

The website is currently undergoing a major revamp so that's why it's offline. It should be back up over the next week or so.

Price wise I assume you're asking for the USA? Whereabouts are you? I'm not up on who's got what in the US however I do know that over West Smurfwarrior has a shop in Utah stocking Big Dog as does Mark at Walden's ridge whitewater on the East. Those guys might be a good starting point for you.
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

bob mckee wrote:The website is currently undergoing a major revamp so that's why it's offline. It should be back up over the next week or so.

Price wise I assume you're asking for the USA? Whereabouts are you? I'm not up on who's got what in the US however I do know that over West Smurfwarrior has a shop in Utah stocking Big Dog as does Mark at Walden's ridge whitewater on the East. Those guys might be a good starting point for you.

I'm located in Ottawa, Canada.
h2sk1
C Guru

Post by h2sk1 »

leclercraven wrote:
bob mckee wrote:The website is currently undergoing a major revamp so that's why it's offline. It should be back up over the next week or so.

I'm located in Ottawa, Canada.
If there are no distributors in the region (Ottawa/Mtl/Toronto), then consider ordering it from Smurf or WaldensRidge, and have it shipped to Ogdensburg. A short drive and you have a new boat. Even better, arrange this for a weekend where you'll be paddling in NY or VT and you have a nice duty free boat.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I'd be more than happy to help you get a Force OC1. PM me if you are serious and we'll work it out.
leclercraven
C Guru

Post by leclercraven »

How easy it is to remove the bulkhead saddle? Let's say I want to do an overnighter, I would like to be able to add a few drybags in there for tent, clothes and food. Is this possible with this design?

Footpegs: Are they adjustable? Can't say from the photos.

Another question: Has anybody surfed with this baby yet? The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking for a river runner, creeker and playboat all in one OC. Would this fit the bill?