OC2 failure to flip

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wiggins
C Guru

OC2 failure to flip

Post by Wiggins »

I took my Caption to the pool earlier this week to see if me and my girlfriend could roll it. We couldn't even get it flipped!

I have it set up with two Mohawk saddles, 48" end bags, and no center bag. Set up as a solo boat with two 72" bags it would sometimes hang up on one side, but a quick sweep would pull it over. This week it was like it was stuck in cement. I tried letting some air out of the bags to get them below the gunnels and it did not help.

Would more flotation help or is there something else going on here?

Kyle
cadster
CBoats Addict

Re: OC2 failure to flip

Post by cadster »

I assume you mean tandem hangs up with the gunnels perpendicular to the water. You have to have the "S" word that shall remain unspoken to not even be able to dip the gunnel.

It’s the combination of rocker and floatation in the ends that causes canoes to not go over completely immediately. Less or no floatation should help the boat flip plus make it easier to roll since the boat will sit lower when full of water although there’ll be more inertia to overcome. I’d flip it solo first to make sure my partner isn’t keeping the boat on its side.
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

Yes, I mean the boat was stuck perpendicular to the water on its gunnel.

I tried both solo and with a partner to get it to go all the way over. In doing so I managed to rip out a set of thigh straps and generate enough torque while trying to use a paddle sweep to get the boat to go the rest of the way over to crack a thwart where it bolts onto the back of the seat.

Taking air out of the bags did not help.

Kyle
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Believe it or not, it sounds like you have too much bag. Basically, what cadster posted is right on. The high ends of the bow and stern filled with the end bags may be keeping the boat too high. It most likely make a positive difference when the gunnels can be at the surface when upside down.

Good luck
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

to me it sounds like you tie down lacing is not tight enough- you want your float bags to be as flat as possible across the tops of them between the gunnels. You may have to put more crosses across and they need to be tight.
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Post by Longboatin »

couldnt even get it to flip? sounds good to me. easier to brace back up than roll :D
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

Unfortunately it flips just enough!

Kyle