wood paddles?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kballard
c

wood paddles?

Post by kballard »

I have a Silver Creek paddle which I am reluctantly accepting is not long for this world. I have had it since Dagger first started making the Cascade (no, I don't really want to know when that was) and despite my best efforts it is showing its age. So who is making quality wood paddles? Opinions and experiences?
Bob Wiggins
C Guru

Re: wood paddles?

Post by Bob Wiggins »

mitchell wood-wood. or you can go modern and get a wood shaft with a carbon blade. gives you the flex of wood but the grab, weight, and recovery of a carbon paddle.
Jeffrey Ward
C Boater

Post by Jeffrey Ward »

I like my Mitchell with wood shaft and carbon blade.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

There are lots of good options out there, ranging from $200-$400. How much money do you want to spend?

Fritz Orr - beautiful. Don't know much about them.
Clinch River (Bailey Johnson) - good luck getting him to make another batch though.
RivrStyx (Jim Snyder) - beautiful handcrafted paddles - probably the best looking I have ever seen.
Echo (Andy Convery) - popular among Canadians, good looking sticks.
Mitchell - good bang for your buck
Zap (Vince Zappia) - a Georgia local, and my choice.

If you're interested in the Zap paddles, I can tell you about mine, or I can put you directly in touch with Vince.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

I've got both a wood Mitchell and a wood Echo. Each has it's own attributes but overall they are both excellet. The Mitchell is more affordable which is usually the attribute most paddlers put the most weight on.
Bob Wiggins wrote:mitchell wood-wood. or you can go modern and get a wood shaft with a carbon blade. gives you the flex of wood but the grab, weight, and recovery of a carbon paddle.
The mitchell wood shaft/wood blade and wood shaft/carbon blade are identical except for the carbon rather than fiberglass covering the face and back of the blade. In reality, the weight difference for this is negligible and carbon does not adhear to aluminum as well as glass does so you're more likely to see tip delamination in this configuration. A true carbon paddle (like a gala) is worlds lighter.
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Post by Longboatin »

Check out Blunt Family Paddles when u get a chance. Kenny Kiley apprenticed with Keith Backlund, and he's got mad skills. Only guy I could get to build a bentshaft for whitewater. Custom wood stick seem expensive, but u only gonna haveta buy it once. With some care it will last as long as u paddle. And the feel and balance will be light years ahead of more "mass produced" sticks. Do the earth a favor, steer clear of the throwaways. 8)
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I've long admired Echo's (my flat water Echo is a piece of art!), I have a Mitchell, have used a Backlund, but I have to say after seeing it at the Armada Jim Snyder's blades are amazing - Mike Watson's slight spoon "slalom" style stick is amazing. I need to talk to Jimi this year or next....
Keep the C!
Adam
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Bailey (Clinch River) on a "How long you willin' ta' wait?" status are my personal favorites.

Mitchell makes a nice paddle... they have for decades.

But... if I had to go out and purchase a brand new retail paddle right now... I'll ditto the comments on Echo paddles. They feel 'right' in the water... and I honestly don't know how to better explain it than that.

http://www.echopaddles.com/canoe_paddle ... water.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wood is good.. :wink: .
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
adelgid
c

Post by adelgid »

You're in GA, so check out Brandy and John Lesan's wooden paddles up around the Chattooga. Pothole Paddles. http://www.potholepaddles.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brandy started making wood paddles in Eighties He does fine work, makes bent shaft kayak paddles, bent shaft canoe and regular. He can spoon your blade too. The website doesn't show canoe paddles, if I remember right, but he's made many sweet ones. I have three, a bent shaft sprint, a short play stick, and a stout, big water paddle. They hang on my wall when not in water. Prices very reasonable for the quality.
Roy
C Guru

Post by Roy »

Have you looked into repair of your Silver Creek? I seem to recall Mitchell will repair paddles built by others...probably other paddle builders will, too. Also, this guy seems to specialize in wood paddle repair:

http://polarpaddles.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roy
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Craig Smerda wrote:Bailey (Clinch River) on a "How long you willin' ta' wait?" status are my personal favorites.
Agreed. I'm waiting for a second from Bailey....
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
drrpm
C Guru

Post by drrpm »

I have a Pothole canoe paddle as well and have been very satisfied.
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Post by horizongfx »

Bailey Makes a dam Fine stick, dam shame, Shipping crates are in such High Demand in Eastern Tennessee ! :roll:
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

wish i could get a JimmiStyk .... River Styx paddles are a work of art
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

Can we see pics of those Bailey sticks??
Cheers