c1 river runner for big man

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

henryflipinger
c

c1 river runner for big man

Post by henryflipinger »

Hey the big man is looking for a river runner/ creeker that i can convert to a c-1. i am 6-5" 260#, i know i need to loose weight and am working on that in the meantime i still need to rip it up. i want a newer boat that is solid, boat weight does not concern me as much as saddle height.
Bob Wiggins
C Guru

Re: c1 river runner for big man

Post by Bob Wiggins »

Stomper.
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

Prijon Pure XL maybe. Make sure you go with a modern design with a large cockpit, as that will be your biggest issue with your height.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

The Jefe Grande may well be a good call, but it depends on the size of your calf and thigh muscles relative to your height; they have realtively narrow cockpits for such a big boat and at 6'3" and 225lbs I'm pretty tight in it.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I think it is going to be tough to find a kayak to convert that will fit and impossible to find a plastic C-1 that would suit. You could probably get a glass boat big enough (Hahn, Blackwater), but those are dated designs. An OC-1 of adequate dimensions would be an easier find. Craig had (has?) a Taureau with a cockpit rim. Maybe you could get Jeremy to leave the top on an Octane or Esquif to do similar on a L'Edge...
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Everest... its big
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

Smurfwarrior wrote:Everest... its big

If you like a flat planning hull and edges, I am with Smurf, Everest. I recently also saw a big Dagger Mamba 8.6, it might also be worth looking at?
Roy
C Guru

Post by Roy »

What boats have you paddled before?

You mention seat height. What is your minimum seat height? Seat height seems to vary with minimum-acceptable hull width.

For example, I am a big, old, inflexible guy and I find I need a 7.75" seat and a 70 cm wide hull. I have dabbled in lower seats and slimmer boats, but it has always turned out to be a bad idea.

Anyway, knowing one's seat and width numbers makes looking for a hull easier.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

AJ wrote:
Smurfwarrior wrote:Everest... its big

If you like a flat planning hull and edges, I am with Smurf, Everest. I recently also saw a big Dagger Mamba 8.6, it might also be worth looking at?
The having seen and kayaked in a Mamba 8.6 I think that it could actually be quite a good call, but as no-one has converted one yet, it would be a calculated risk...
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)