Lightning Canoe Paddles

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

What's your interest in Lightning Canoe Paddles?

I'd buy one based on past experience
12%
I'd buy one to try it
12%
Looks interesting, but I'd have to see one in a store
41%
I'm not interested in fiberglass-shafted paddles
12%
I'm not interested in fiberglass-bladed paddles
6%
I'm happy with the paddle I currently use and won't ever change
18%

Total votes: 17

milkman
C Maven

Lightning Canoe Paddles

Post by milkman »

Lightning paddles used to be manufactured in Oregon. Some years back, the guy making them retired and sold the company and designs to Robson. Consequently, they've only been available in Europe. Recently, I found out that one of my local Portland paddling shops was now stocking Lightning kayak paddles. This led me to ask about the canoe paddles. I discovered that Jackson is the USA distributor for Lightning. Currently, they don't have plans to import the canoe paddles, though there are two Lightning canoe paddle designs (see: http://www.robsonpaddle.de/robsonpaddle ... .php#canoe).

What was great about Lightning canoe paddles is that they featured a tough fiberglass shaft that had just enough flex in it to be easy on joints and had tough fiberglass blades (tougher than Werner's). Paddlers in my club particularly loved the straight blade design. Many still use them even though their paddles are significantly worn.

What would be the interest from this group in Lightning canoe paddles? I've started a dialog with Jackson about local interest here in Portland. Did any of you ever use Lightning paddles? Would you buy them if they were available again in the USA?
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Re: Lightning Canoe Paddles

Post by TNbound »

Those t-grips look like a nightmare.... The rest of the paddle looks intriguing though.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
Eli
The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by Eli »

I am using two Robson paddles I picked up in Germany last summer. I prefer a curved blade, so that is what I picked up. The tgrip is a different shape than I am used to, but I adjusted quickly. They have a nice balance and seem to be pretty durable. I have bashed the one with a skull graphic pretty extensively and it shows minimal wear. I am using it as my creeking paddle. The pure carbon one is nice and light, but I use it for racing/lake work so I can't speak to its durability yet.
When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
www.thecanoeguru.com
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I have had two. One was a three piece breakdown and the other was the regular paddle with a curved blade. They were my favorite paddles (excluding Mitchells' of course). I'd buy them again but the price point would have to compare favorably with Aquabound.
Einar
CBoats Addict

Lightning Canoe Paddles

Post by Einar »

C-1 Lightning- great flex paddle. Just wore it out on main water then made a rocky creek paddle. Couldn't break it. Eventually it lost horse power due to wear.
Move on to a Waterstick, good paddle but broke the blade.
Paddling a Carbon fibre Werner Bandit, like it, but would prefer a straight blade Lightning.
Attachments
P1000532.jpg
P1000532.jpg (19.57 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I have one that's a three pc breakdown. They made it for me from one of the bargain/blem paddles. I liked dealing with them and the paddle is fine,. but it's uninspiring, heavy and has a flat blade so I wouldn't want to use it daily (so instead i just carry it :wink: ). It's a friking tank actually.
Larry