Waterfall record?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dank
c

Waterfall record?

Post by dank »

Who holds the open boat waterfall record? Which means who landed it, stayed in the boat and did not get hurt. How tall is it?
Paddler
Pain Boater

Re: Waterfall record?

Post by Paddler »

I don't think getting hurt is a disqualifier. As long as they stay in their boat I think it counts.
The line will become apparent
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I don't know who holds the record for height and staying in the boat. But if you use the formula: ( Height + difficulty) X cajones + length of boat then Steve Frazier is the winner hands down for the 1st D of Compression falls. If "getting hurt" is extended to infinity then terminal injuries wouldn't disqualify the run. In this senario Jesse Sharpe is the clear winner for his ill fated run over Niagra (sans helmet) in a Gyramax. Mr. Sharpe certainly did not stay in the boat.
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

cheajack wrote:If "getting hurt" is extended to infinity then terminal injuries wouldn't disqualify the run. In this senario Jesse Sharpe is the clear winner for his ill fated run over Niagra (sans helmet) in a Gyramax. Mr. Sharpe certainly did not stay in the boat.
I think dying is probably a knock against holding a record. I also doubt a helmet would have helped him.

Didn't Creeker and the Espirit crew run a 50 footer in Mexico just a few weeks back? That has to be pretty close to the record.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

It's not 100% clear from the video, but I believe both Jim and Wayne got separated from their boats on the Big Banana. It is my understanding that Compression Falls is the record as it stands. I believe we can agree that, to achieve the record, you must be able to paddle away from the falls (hands or paddle). This would obviously disqualify swimming and more serious injuries, but not more minor injuries.

Shep
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I took this from creeker's writeup in http://www.fullgnarlz.com/home/120-mexi ... st-descent

The next morning I didn’t say anything but there was no peace. Silencio was a big deal just 5 feet off the OC1 world record of 55ft
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

Word on the street is that it was closer to 40ft. Still impressive.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Yes, but the post also ends with this:
The first clean descent of Silencio awaits for the next of us to give her a go. I can only wonder who it will be and only hope I’m there to have their back and cheer them on.
Does this mean they didn't stay in their boats or does it refer to not running the entry rapid?
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

Check out Canoe Movie 2 and you can see their run on Silencio in Mexico. :D
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

I'm for rating waterfalls on their level of stupidity, since mostly it's a ratio of ego divided by good judgement rather than skill...
Bob P
dank
c

Post by dank »

Give them both credit for having the courage to run silencia in Mexico. Both were ejected from their boats though. I do believe it was 50ft from what I was told.
dank
c

Post by dank »

Edit: Answered my own question I was looking at the wrong falls.

http://rattreks.com/site_pics10/kayak_elkfalls.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

man, today's a great to cripple myself for life :roll:
Larry
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

Silencio's height??? I just quoted the height the locals threw out at me of 50'. I also heard aprox 15 meters. What's a few feet between friends unless you actually stick it and paddle away.

I'm not judging if running Silencio deserves accolades or condemnation....it largely depends on how conservative/bold you are IMHO. I didn't have any of those thoughts driving me when I chose to run Selencio. I just wanted to see if it was possible for me. A year ago today I didn't have one good OC combat roll to my name and only 7 runs in all. A year later I've run the biggest drops I've ever paddled in a canoe VS my Kayak. Personally I find that reality very rewarding.

So that record really is only 45', funny I thought it was 55'
drrpm
C Guru

Post by drrpm »

Nice write up Creeker. I started in a canoe and then got into kayaking. I still paddle a canoe a few times a year and sometimes I end up canoeing runs at higher levels than I've kayaked them. Its definitely a different perspective. It is cool that you're at the cutting edge in a canoe. Stay safe.