Waterfall record?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Waterfall record?

Post by Sir Adam »

Let's stick to the " important" facts here folks:
1) Thread is on biggest waterfall run
2) Great info provided by Creeker
3) We all know how to sit in a whitewater craft, and what type of paddle to use. Whether we like to bail, or sit in water with a battery or not is a different question that really isn't relevant :wink:
Keep the C!
Adam
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

I pulled this frame for Aqua-Bound today.....thought I'd post it in here too. Enjoy
Unfortunately it resulted in a swim at the bottom.

BTW - thanks richard for that ambassador and OC'er of the year comment. Some from TN might say not bad for a buttboater deep undercover....but that was very nice..... Likewise to Adam and Justin.

Last edited by Creeker on Tue May 22, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

So now I'm confused. Who has the record? How high was the drop? IS THIS EVEN REAL LIFE?????????

Seems like every time we talk about running waterfalls, people have to chime in and say its dangerous/stupid/pointless. Sounds like the same stuff I hear from yocals who won't take their fishing boats down a Class III river cuz of all the dangerous rapids. Perception, and personal choice.

Oh and Creeker, next time you make it out to 'Pyle, autograph my boat. Markzak already offered but it wouldn't be worth as much, considering markzak signed boats are already in existence.
Chris Loomis
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

Cheeks, I ran Silencio but I was ejected by crazy powerful hydro that sucked me out of the canoe without even trying to swim. So yes I ran it but the hole made me its GF :wink: In my book it counts as I learned quite a few things in the 50ft drop but unless you paddle away upright it does not count as a record. I didn't run the falls thinking it was a record in the first place. I leave the record counting and falls measuring for anyone that wants to do that. I just added a note on that picture that I swam at the bottom so it shouldn't confuse people.

My understanding is the pic of a guy running compression falls listed at 45' seems to be the unchallenged record at least in the english speaking world.
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

The open boat waterfall descent record was actually set longer ago than you may think. This is not only pre-Steve Frazier, but actually pre-George Washington too. This clip is from a vintage paddling film. I used to watch it to get psyched up before running the gnarr myself. Skip to 1:25. From below, this falls appears to be at least 60-70 feet tall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNUtsI9Y ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(You will notice that at this time helmets and safety gear were primitive, or in many cases, non-existent.)

:D

AB
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

half the stick - twice the chick! :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

but (like larry) she's wearing a skirt! does that count?
Joe
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

To throw out another variation on an old theme, what's the OC-2 Waterfall record?
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

Pocahantas and Meeko aside.......Best I've seen is below.
Mark Zak and Jeremy Laucks, Octane 92

Regardless Good money is on a Blackfly 92 in the furture for a record.
Keeping both paddlers in the canoe is a significant added challenge.

Last edited by Creeker on Wed May 23, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Alden wrote:The open boat waterfall descent record was actually set longer ago than you may think. This is not only pre-Steve Frazier, but actually pre-George Washington too. This clip is from a vintage paddling film. I used to watch it to get psyched up before running the gnarr myself. Skip to 1:25. From below, this falls appears to be at least 60-70 feet tall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNUtsI9Y ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(You will notice that at this time helmets and safety gear were primitive, or in many cases, non-existent.)

:D

AB
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m9cOsFnkOc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxFWH_6ZZs8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:wink:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

Maybe people could just state the biggest vertical falls they've seen a tandem run and paddled away gunnels up.

I *assume* many tandem runs have been made on Ohiopyle falls, and Wonder Falls?.... from my memory its splitting hairs but I bet Wonder is slightly bigger than LaMance.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

I've seen a tandem team go off Wonder Falls in a Caption... when it landed "BOOM" :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Many decades ago there was some crazy guy in the Pacific Northwest that dropped some ridiculous waterfall and charged folks admission to watch. It was mentioned in a previous thread here, possibly one started on Jan. 17, 2003, but the search function stops with page 176 in February of '03.
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

Cheajack, I think you are talking about Al Faussett -- the man who ran Sunset Falls in Washington State.

Here is a video I just saw posted today on the subject of running big waterfalls. ("Have you seen the new Brown Flow video with the bomb claws?" :D ) --

http://vimeo.com/40491703" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But seriously, can you believe how incredibly good video quality has gotten in the past ten years? It's remarkable how many videos there are coming out every day like this. And remarkable too how many guys are running large waterfalls with good technique and predictability.

Anyone ever see that old footage of (I think) Don Kinser sheering his canoe in half running Little River Falls in Alabama? 8)

AB
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

Post by adamin »

Regarding the forum here - it was 2003 or so when we ported over all the posts from the old site. It was a major undertaking, several thousand posts moved. Unfortunately the date you will see will be 2002 or 2003 with these posts, even if they are back from 1998 or so when the original forum began in preparation for the C1 Concordia.