camera setup

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ELGOTTO
C Guru

camera setup

Post by ELGOTTO »

I know many of you have the Go Pro Hero cameras so I'm looking for a short cut to set mine up. Is there a particular resoution that's best for mounting on the bow or stern of a canoe? What about sticking the base to the boat as far as prep. I would think you would clean the area with alcohol. I will be using mostly video. Any other tips you can think of that would be helpful would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Re: camera setup

Post by Bob P »

Both my Heros came with a flat base. I just Duck-taped the flat base to the bow or stern deck, plus a safety line to the grab loop. With my HD version, I use the standard 16:9 aspect. I think that a stern installation gives a better perspective as to the nature of the water and the paddler.
Bob P
clarion
C Guru

Post by clarion »

If you are going to film, it is helpful to set it up so that it automatically starts shooting video as soon as you turn it on. That way there is just one button push to turn on and shoot or turn it off. The instructions explain how to do this from the setup menu.

Another thing I've found is if you let the battery die, the video being shot when the battery dies can get corrupted.
It AIN'T bent.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

not a deck mount but cool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4hghtTy ... ture=share" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

Craig, that is really cool, I really like the way it films the entire paddler, not just his hands and bow of the boat... Thank you for sharing!!
Cheers
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

That taller stick mount gives a great perspective.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;