Jackson Rockstar / Jackson C1 Outfitting

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Matt Fritz
C Guru

Jackson Rockstar / Jackson C1 Outfitting

Post by Matt Fritz »

I've just had it a few weeks, but wanted to share my experiences with my new Rockstar Large C1 play boat.

For reference I'm 6'6" tall and weight about 185 lbs and my old play boat is a 2008 Jackson Superstar (which is the same model as my new boat just 2 generations older). For about 3 years I've really liked the Superstar for park and play and running rivers like the Ocoee and the Fractions and Brown's on the Arkansas.

Now for the good stuff. The Rockstar is by far the best C1 play boat I have ever paddled. Even though it is 6 inches shorter than my old boat (6' vs 6'6") it is much faster. It is faster on flat water, on a wave and everywhere. This makes it easier to catch and surf smaller waves. Also since it is shorter, it is easier to cut back while carving back and forth on steeper waves. I find I don't need to lean back nearly as much while surfing. Flat spins are better and the extra volume in the stern seems to help keep me in the hole when cart wheeling. I usually just get 2 ends when cart wheeling, but am up to 6 with the Rockstar. Even with the extra volume, I can still flat water bow stall and with just a tiny eddie line stern squirt. I'm also really excited about extra pop for loops. I've only tried one and even though I hit a bottom with the bow, it still popped high enough to get around and land it in the hole. When we get a little more water here, I'll take some play boating videos.

The thing that kept me from getting this boat sooner is that some of my kayaking friend told me that it is harder to get this boat down the river. Well, I have found this not to be true. I like it even better than my old boat. A novel feature of the Rockstar as a kayak is that to increase leverage for play boating tricks, the seat is raised 1.5". To help with a decrease in stability of the higher seat, they make the boat a little wider. Given that I use a 6" saddle in both the Rockstar and my old boat, the extra width of the Rockstar makes it feel more stable to me. Taking it down Brown's canyon I never felt off balance.

As for the outfitting, it is rock solid and as good of outfitting as I've had in any boat. I did buy 2011 elite model Rockstar kayak (to save a little money over a 2012) and a c1 outfitting kit. Since the c1 outfitting kit is not meant to work with elite models I had to modify the c1 outfitting kit a little. The elite kayaks come with a fiberglass pipe (similar to a paddle shaft) instead of a plastic rail as a backbone. I simply used a 1" hole saw to drill a few holes in the c1 rail and inserted the fiberglass pipe through the holes. The pipe is very stiff and makes a great anchor for the thigh straps. Then I used a pipe clamp on the pipe the keep the saddle from moving forward and a block of foam to keep it from moving backwards.

Other adjustments to the factory outfitting were to add a foam block to hold my knees down (a bulkhead of sorts) and glue all the foam down with contact cement instead of the velcro that came in the c1 kit. All the foam is glued to the c1 saddle only and not the boat, so I can slide the saddle forward and backwards to adjust trim. Also, I am really liking the backband. I was not sure if I would use it at first, but I like that it is very solid and gives good support for the hip pads. I don't adjusted it every time I get in the boat. I have just set it where I want it and can get in and out of the boat without messing with it. And I did have to build up the height of the knee spreader about 2 inches using foam.

Finally, it weights 33 lbs which is about 6 lbs lighter that my old boat.

Below are some pictures of the outfitting and me taking the Rockstar down Zoom Flume in Brown's Canyon. Please let me know if anyone has any questions.
rockstar 1.JPG
rockstar 2.JPG
rockstar 3.JPG
Matt
Last edited by Matt Fritz on Sun May 20, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Re: Jackson Rockstar / Jackson C1 Outfitting

Post by Matt Fritz »

And some more pictures.
rockstar 4.JPG
rockstar 5.JPG
rockstar 6.JPG
Matt
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

And the last of the pictures.
rockstar 7.JPG
Rockstar Zoom Flume 1.png
Rockstar Zoom Flume 1.png (252.09 KiB) Viewed 6216 times
Rockstar Zoom Flume 2.png
Rockstar Zoom Flume 2.png (246.18 KiB) Viewed 6216 times
Matt
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

One last thing. I am using an IR dry deck with the Rockstar and it is absolutely dry. Two hours of play boating and no water inside. The dry deck is an IR luck charm skirt with a custom tunnel offset (9.5 inches from the back of the cockpit rim) mated to an IR dry top. Another great feature of a dry deck is that it is so easy to put on and off. It took a few back and forth's with IR, but they were great to work with a to get the dry deck just right.
drydeck.JPG
Matt
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

Looks Good Matt! I would like to try it sometime. You and Larry are the hot dog play boaters! :-)
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Good looking boat!

A couple questions:

Do you find the thigh straps adequate for holding you in the boat, even doing lots of playboating? No getting loose over time?

Also, is the "bulkhead" just a semi free-floating piece of foam that wedges between your knees and the thigh hooks of the boat? It is hard to tell how exactly it works from the photos.

Anyway, good to see a review of someone using the new JK outfitting. I just helped my friend through a conversion of an elite All Star (without the Jackson C1 kit) and it seems JK boats are pretty easy to convert.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
kiwic1chick
C Boater

Post by kiwic1chick »

Where are the anchor points for those straps? I tried outfitting my allstar a while ago but found the plastic too soft to attach straps to the seat anchor points (the whole boat just flexed too much if I put any weight on them.)
Any girl can be glamorous. All you have to do is stand still and look stupid. I choose to go paddling.
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

Matt- You going to be around for FibArk? I'll probably be up there.
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

A great post--very informative.

Hats off to Jackson for offering a C1 kit!
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oc ender
C Guru

Post by oc ender »

I'm outfitting a Project X, should be on the water tomorrow. My outfit is based on the fencepost strongback and so the seat is adjustable.Just wondering how your boat is trimmed, or the ideal trim for a playboat. Should I trim it" neutral" like my Remix or a little stern heavy to avoid pearling? I'm new to the c1 playboat thing, so I don't have anything to compare to and there aren't any other c1'ERS around here for advice.

Thanks in advance, and pics and review to come.
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

oc ender wrote:I'm outfitting a Project X, should be on the water tomorrow. My outfit is based on the fencepost strongback and so the seat is adjustable.Just wondering how your boat is trimmed, or the ideal trim for a playboat. Should I trim it" neutral" like my Remix or a little stern heavy to avoid pearling? I'm new to the c1 playboat thing, so I don't have anything to compare to and there aren't any other c1'ERS around here for advice.

Thanks in advance, and pics and review to come.
I'd say don't go stern heavy as it will just make you slow and unstable. Speaking from experience, you're first instinct of where you want your saddle is probably too far back. The best thing you can do is make you're saddle adjustable fore and aft so that you can tweak the trim without having to cut/glue foam, or worse, drill more holes in the boat.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."