Thoughts on a Mohawk Probe 12

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wodza
C Guru

Thoughts on a Mohawk Probe 12

Post by Wodza »

Just looking for people's thoughts on a Probe 12. I have the Gull River whitewater park, Madawaska, and MACK fest in my back yard. I am a beginner also and am looking to trade my Prelude for something more forgiving. Would that make a logical trade or do Probes go for less $ (used) because of their older design?
Last edited by Wodza on Thu May 24, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Re: Thoughts on a Mohawk Probe 12

Post by 2opnboat1 »

I would say if you could paddle the Lude you should look at the Viper 11. THe main reason Mohawks are cheaper is the fact no retailers we are all factory direct.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

Forgiving as in......it does not spin out on you, has better primary balance, has an easier roll?
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

I think anything will be more beginner oriented boat than a prelude... There is a Probe 11 here(not mine)
http://www.mec.ca/Apps/outdoorGearSwap/ ... _cd=Canoes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That would be a good boat. How much do you weight? I know that I lie the viper 12 over the 11... But that is just me!!
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

If the Prelude hasn't scared you off I would go for something more responsive than the Probe. The Viper would be my choice.

Kyle
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

I've been paddling my girlfriend's Rival and I enjoy it however I find it a little unresponsive. Would a Probe be somewhere in between a prelude and a rival? I'd like something that tracks a tad better than the prelude but more importantly i need some primary stability. And for those asking Im 6'4" and 200lbs. I guess I should also ask for thoughts on the probe 11 too especially regarding my weight and I have a line on one. Thanks for the tips.
Last edited by Wodza on Wed May 23, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

I second the Viper11. I started out in a Viper11, moved to a prelude for a bit more challenge and PE, and am now eagerly waiting for the Phiend to add a bit of stability, but not so extreme as the L'Edge.

If you can handle somewhat the Prelude, you'll enjoy the Viper11 probably more plus you get to paddle a slightly forgiving canoe with hard chines, adds some perspective to your paddling.

And you probably want to forget about the 12 range, viper or probe. Compared to the prelude probably too long, too slow turning, ... .
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

So is the Probe a boat that i'll "grow" out of too quickly?
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Yes, you might grow out of a probe to quickly. Not so with a viper.

The Rival would also be a good boat to get you up and paddling. Nitro, Zephyr, Spark as well.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blaine

Post by Blaine »

I picked up a Probe 12 for my daughter. It's a little bit too much for her yet. I am looking at an Equif Raven for her. If you are interested in our Proble let me know.
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Post by ohioboater »

I paddled a Probe 12 (now called Probe 13) for about 10 years as a 20-30 day a year boater. I would have been capable of paddling something more advanced within probably the first year or two, but I didn't really outgrow it until maybe a couple of years ago. But then I followed the not-so-fashionable philosophy of spending a lot of time learning to master hard moves on easier water before paddling the more photogenic stuff. I still consider class 4 to be my top limit, and probably always will.

Here's what I liked about that boat as a beginner and low intermediate:

1. Super stable, both primary and secondary. It firms up progressively the more you lean it, with no surprises. I've run straightforward class 2 stuff standing up - it's that stable, though to be fair, I would have fallen out if I had tried a stunt like that earlier on in my career.

2. Won't immediately flip you if you drop the wrong edge during a mellow side surf or moderate peel out/eddy turn.

3. Forgiving of a less than perfect forward stroke - easier to keep it lined up as you build up speed to leave an eddy.

Here's what I disliked about that boat after I got more experience:

1. Tracked too well in pushy water. Very hard to adjust your line mid-move in class 4ish stuff.

2. Required a ton of force on draws/pries while front surfing to change direction. Edging did not help much with carving back and forth. My shoulders and rib muscles would hurt after a big play day, and the times I jumped in more responsive boats, I would tend to fling myself off the opposite side of the wave because I was so used to CRANKING on those turning strokes.

3. Length and moderate rocker makes it hard to boof well, and the stern tends to get slammed when punching steep holes.

So depending on what kind of boater you are, you might or might not quickly outgrow a Probe. If you did ok in the Prelude, though, and just want more stability, then I'll echo others' comments that a Viper 11 would probably be more suited to you than a Probe.
Bob Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Bob Wiggins »

l'edge, l'edge, l'edge, l'edge, l'edge, l'edge, l'edge, l'edge, l'edge, l'edge, l'edge, l'edge, l'edge, l'edge, l'edge!
!!!!!! :lol:
sounds like exactly what youre looking for. im somewhat surprised no ones mentioned it yet. perfect for your size, stable, responsive.
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

L'edge or the Viper 9' (aka Phiend)
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

Coming from a Prelude, the L'Edge is probably not the most interesting canoe, unless you're already into the steep stuff.

As many paddlers, as many opinions, the always valid advice: try before you buy.

As a Prelude paddler a shortlists of designs I like:
- Prelude ;-)
- Viper11
- Ocoee
- Spark
- Spanish-Fly
- Zephir
- (L'Edge, but I'm not paddling enough "hard" stuff)

Not that I would want to own all of these (for several reasons). Basically up till now I like all of franky's designs I tried.

I would be careful not to end at the other extreme of the stability spectrum because of the Prelude. Thinking of:
- Probe12, Prober 13
- Raven
- Vertige

The prelude is a canoe that gives a lot of feedback. If you like that, I'd look into the flat bottomed range of canoes. Hard chines tend to give more feedback, but a design with a good secondary stability will save you from a swim.
The prelude is very sensitive to weight shift. If you like that somewhat (not as extreme), try to find a design that has the right amount of sensitivity for you.

If you have the spirit to challenge yourself, you won't outgrow a canoe fast. Some designs are the challenge by themselves, other designs you have to create the challenge.

Probably, the more designs you try, the more you want to buy, but also the better you can select the canoe that fits your purposes. You'll find out some designs really fit you, and some others really don't, and that's a personal thing.
drrpm
C Guru

Post by drrpm »

The Probe 12 is a big, forgiving boat. It is near the opposite end of the canoeing spectrum from a Prelude. If you like edge then a Viper 12 or Ocoee would be worth a look. Less edge but still sportier than the Probe 12 would be boats like the Probe or Viper 11, Raven or Outrage. If you want a more stable plastic boat you could try a Quake or Spanish Fly.