Something to start / Aqua Bound Odyssey 7

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Myszoor
c

Something to start / Aqua Bound Odyssey 7

Post by Myszoor »

hi

I not found reviews on the internet. From the description of the manufacturer and product images on the web is not clear even blade is curved. So I assume that the blade is flat - as in the paddles which use now.

I have the possibility to buy this paddle (new) for around $75.

Worth?

Is it better to pay a bit more and buy something else? Next in line to purchase are Mergner Bionic Easy and Werner Bandit ...
jakke
CBoats Addict

Re: Something to start / Aqua Bound Odyssey 7

Post by jakke »

It's a straight blade if my comparison with the aquabound I tried is right (the thick edge on both sides).

If it's a plastic blade, don't go there, way to much flex. Carbon can be better, haven't tried this one.

And you might want to rethink the mergner as well, with the ribs on the back face, it's not sliding cleanly through the water.

Depends on what you want for a paddle.
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

If it is the plastic blade version I would pass. I got one at a great price and I use it for a loaner/tandem partner paddle.

When I use it in the Ledge it is not so bad, but if I use it in the Probe 12, or solo in the Caption the flex is really bad. It feels like a noodle and I know I am losing a ton of energy.

Kyle
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

Don't buy. I own the plastic one, and I can tell you its a shitty blade. Besides the flex (which the carbon has somewhat less of) it has NO catch at all... way too much turbulence. Similar problem with the Mergner.. which was designed as a Rodeo blade for maximum forward grip. Not much slicing in rodeo, so if you want it for that it should be OK but for everything else - let it pass. If you look for a cheaper blade, try the AB "Edge" Carbon, if you look for a straight blade, Mitchell "Touring Special"..

Cheers,

Jan
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Spend more and get the AB "Edge" Carbon
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Myszoor
c

Post by Myszoor »

jakke wrote:It's a straight blade if my comparison with the aquabound I tried is right (the thick edge on both sides).

If it's a plastic blade, don't go there, way to much flex. Carbon can be better, haven't tried this one.
That is enough. Straight and plastic blade have in my current paddle :)
jakke wrote:Depends on what you want for a paddle.
in relation to the paddle that I have now first of all: less weight, more comfortable grip and the feeling that water no longer escapes from the blade :) And I want to try a paddle with a spooned blade.
Wiggins wrote:When I use it in the Ledge it is not so bad, but if I use it in the Probe 12, or solo in the Caption the flex is really bad. It feels like a noodle and I know I am losing a ton of energy.
I admit that I do not understand what may be the result of this difference in work :\

mahyongg wrote:Don't buy. I own the plastic one, and I can tell you its a shitty blade. Besides the flex (which the carbon has somewhat less of) it has NO catch at all... way too much turbulence. Similar problem with the Mergner.. which was designed as a Rodeo blade for maximum forward grip.
OK, I now forgot about Odyssey 7 :D
Paddle Power wrote:Spend more and get the AB "Edge" Carbon
Exactly I do it.

Thanks for all opinions.
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

Plastic is not bad by definition. I really love my plastic blade profiplast air (which is not build anymore :'().

But the AB Edge is a nice paddle for it's price. I'm considering a split Edge as spare paddle.
dsmoake
C Boater

Post by dsmoake »

Does the AB Edge have a spooned blade? It doesn't say. I am considering that or the Werner bandit.
Dave
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Yes. Not much different in shape from a Bandit. Bandit is my primary, breakdown Edge is my backup, only ever had to sue it once, but it did the job very well.

Shep
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

A lot of guys I know use the aquabound carbon edge as their primary paddle. I have one as a breakdown and I like it.

The carbon edge does indeed have a curved blade (there is basicly no such thing as a spoon blade canoe paddle) and I like the feel of it.

They use a unique blade that is carbon reinforced injection molded plastic that seems to wear well.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.