Your knees will thank you!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

thomsonbytheriver
Pain Boater

Your knees will thank you!

Post by thomsonbytheriver »

I'm in my 30th year of paddling and I struck upon a 'why didn't I think of this before' idea this year. I have developed chronic tendonitis in my pitelar tendon from cranking my knees into a C1 for so many years- it's like a hot poker sticking in my leg sometimes. I tried donut rings, knee pads and other things- even tried to track down a source for breast implants to glue in my boat. They are hard to come by. So this year, I tore apart an old life jacket and used the foam inside for my knee pads. It's like my knees are floating in there. The difference is unbelievable. It's amazing that I was wearing my solution for so many years. Has anyone else done this? I have trouble believing I'm the first- if so, it's one helluva eureka moment.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Re: Your knees will thank you!

Post by Bob P »

What's the difference between the PFD foam and regular Minicell?

I actually shape my knee cups so that their contour matches my knee "knob", spreading the pressure over a big area.
Bob P
thomsonbytheriver
Pain Boater

Post by thomsonbytheriver »

I tried shaping knee cups too and shaping it out to my knee bumps. It didn't help because my trouble spot slides out of the way of the contour and minicell is quite rigid causing real discomfort. In fact I think the rigisity of minicell caused the problem in the first place. Life jacket foam is a perfect balance of rigidity and softness- very squishy and organic to the touch. Awesome stuff.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Patellar tendonitis? Usually the problem is misaligned tracking and pressure of the keecap in its groove. Why should your patellar tendon develop tendonitis from thin padding? More likely, if it is the tendon getting sore, there are forces putting high transient tension on the tendon while you paddle. Resuming kneeling after more than a month off, I notice both mild soreness, and some knee extensor fatigue.

I get pain there, too, if I don't properly control the tendency (tendoncy?) of the knee to "work" from side to side. The shin part tends to stick, the thigh end tends to push inward or outward.

Rather than trying to achieve all needed control by the kneecup, and with the thigh straps, I now install knee wedges that push outward against the lower thigh, somewhat against the lower bulge of the femur. Without them, I hurt. With them, no problem.

What you've done with squishy foam may be to unpin the knee surface from the bottom of the boat, so that knee joint structures don't get gronked as your thigh moves from side to side. But controlling the movement of the thigh, rather than foaming the knee into freedom, may be a better way to keep control of the boat.

I once wrote a research proposal on chondromalacia patellae, so I'm entitled to have crazy opinions on the matter.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I like to keep an extra old chest piece in the boat too (from a life vest.. not implant) - 3/4" thick or so of rubber like foam. Place it on top of your saddle for extra comfort for long days. Get to a play spot you want to be cranked in tight, or a class IV or V you're worried about? Eddy out, pop your skirt, remove said foam, tighten straps, replace skirt and off you go.

it is awesome stuff.

FWIW I've found the biggest difference is getting my knees out much wider so less weight is on them and more is on my seat. Legs rather than being folded under are out to the side. MUCH more comfortable. If you haven't tried a Sith, sit in one and you'll know what I mean.... My Sith is the most comfortable boat I own. Next is likely the Mentor (of all things!), then the Wheelboy.
Keep the C!
Adam
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

One thing though, Adam, if the bottom of the c-1 or OC-1 is elliptical more than flat, moving the knees outward means that the knees are higher than the feet. This may not feel good. Also with big feet like mine, splaying the knees outward projects the toes into the minicell extensions of my seat. That can mean that the minicell has to be windowed. On at least one of my c-1s, I ended up moving the knee placement back in a bit. That put my knees, my shins, and the tops of my feet more nearly on the same level.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Very true - on the boats I noted as being "most comfortable" they are all wide and flat. I think some older boats (Viper C1) might do well too, though, but due to the shallow arch of the hull and their width.

Personally I find my feet more comfortable as I can rotate my ankles, but from your posts I've gathered I'm a bit smaller (5'9" and about 165 lbs, size 8.5 flippers) so that may have a lot to do with it.
Keep the C!
Adam