Best International Paddling Destination?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

avlclimber
C Guru

Best International Paddling Destination?

Post by avlclimber »

(other than MX/Costa Rica)

Dream big. If you had a 2 week trip (summertime) to ________ location, where's the best place to find water, fun rest days, canoes to borrow or rent, people to show you around and get you shuttled, beautiful locales, etc.

I'd have to take out of the equation places too far away because they would necessitate a longer trip. but I know there are some C-boaters in Europe, etc. Cast ideas my way!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Best International Paddling Destination?

Post by Sir Adam »

Wherever the European Armada is that year!
Keep the C!
Adam
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

The white nile and the zam are both classics that every boater can enjoy, but you'd have to fly a c1 out with you and an open woukd be out of the question.

Norway is possibly the worlds greatest creeking playground, and with extremveko in voss and sjoafest both attracting oodles of boaters (including a handful of canoists) you can meet people, go hard, and postulate on why beer is $6.50 a pint... if you flew into germany and drove up through denmark it would be feasible to pick up an esquif, robson or mohawk oc/c1 easily enough (and import as many alcoholic beverages as norwegian customs will allow into the bargain, you can easily make a profit on the campsites to soften the blow).

Nepal is another classic destination with a mix of volume and creeking, there are even a few c1 convertions of various vintages you could hire, if you can track down which of the oodles of outfitters bought them from a trailblazing c-boater.

I would love to say the UK, but for all our excellent whitewater, not a single "world class" river runs reliably, and the rain is not as consistent as you might have heard...

If I had to pick, Norway would be my choice, but you'd want to be fairly on your game to make the best of it in just two weeks.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I dream of getting back to Scotland and running things I saw on Stirling Uni Moutaineering Club trips over a decade ago. Rapids like Right Angle on the River Etive.

It's half about awesome water, half about visiting a place I love and having a pint in the pub at the end of an amazing day of paddling.

Shep
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

I'd second Sir Adam and say: wherever the Euro Armada takes place, if you're not into tropical destinations or patagonia (there's even an outfitter with open boats there now, offering two trips with mainly class II - III or III-IV), you would be able to find a lot of rivers within driving distance in the alps, with a little bit of planning and communication you'd also find enough people of the small batch of cboaters there happy to show you around on their local/awesome runs . Since its all relatively close together (for people used to northern american distances at least) you can have a blast in two weeks for sure. Loaner boats would be a little more of a challenge, but there are shops who have demo boats and some outfitters who'd probably be willing to help also.

So, yes - central Europe would definitely be worth a trip.
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

I'd like to go to Italy/Switzerland and to Nepal someday, among others.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

markzak wrote:I'd like to go to Italy/Switzerland and to Nepal someday, among others.
I've been to Nepal once, going again this year, but neither for boating. I'd love to boat some of the rivers there one day. I saw some of the Sun Koshi River...looked fantastic.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

i've never been there myself, but maybe some other folks on here can speak towards paddling in New Zealand? I've known lots of great Kiwi kayakers and raft guides over the years, but i'm unsure of the possibility or popularity of c-boating there.
Peace Pow and Paddling!
Gwyn
Pain Boater

Post by Gwyn »

Yes - lots to do in NZ.
Have a look at;
http://rivers.org.nz/nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
for a peek at what is available. There is something for everyone. Last trip I did was the Motu - 3 days of grade 3 with few grade 4 rapids. 100km on the river, no portages, bridges, cottages, just wilderness.

There are some C-boaters in NZ, 3 of us I think. Bringing a C1 over is not difficult, due to Air NZ being fantastic. Many times they didn't even bother weighing it!
Gwyn
http://www.petawawaraftteam.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mohakarafting.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.shaggydesigns.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oc ender
C Guru

Post by oc ender »

I would have to say Whistler...I guess it depends on your level of play,but Whistler or anywhere in BC really.Pristine water,small tight steep creeks,big water runs,free camping,endless number of runs (nearly 30 runs or more between Golden and Fernie which is about a four hour drive),great peeps,long season,variety of class runs,spectacular country and the odd Grizzly bear here and there...

If you want a fantastic paddling destination,BC is the place but Whistler is truly amazing however many of the runs are class IV+ and harder.All this and on the same continent with no need to travel to far off lands in search of the best whitewater,it's up here. 8)
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

My favorite foreign country for paddling opportunities is southeast Tennessee
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

I have always wanted to do one of DeReimer Adventure Kayaking's Bhutan trips, but I don't know how open they would be to open boating.

Kyle