Hatin' on airbags

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Walsh
CBoats Addict

Re: Hatin' on airbags

Post by Walsh »

Georgia Tech still has a Sunburst II outfitted with a kneeling thwart and huge pieces of open cell foam.

Anyone here live through the days of tractor inner tubes? Seems like the outfitting could have outweighed the craft...
FURZTROCKEN!
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Bob P wrote:SBroam's not that far from reality. In the '70s, some of us (cheapskates...) stuffed our open boats with one-gallon milk jugs.
Never used Styrofoam, but I did use Ethafoam slabs on the inside at one point. At least they didn't soak up quite so much water, and didn't turn to dust.
Bob P
dixie_boater
C Guru

Post by dixie_boater »

Anyone here live through the days of tractor inner tubes? Seems like the outfitting could have outweighed the craft...

I used truck tire inner tubes in the early 80's in a Mohawk Whitewater 16 for paddling it solo. I made a ethafoam full length saddle for the center position. I thought that was so cool :) And yes, it was heavy but I was young and could have cared less.

I remember seeing that sunburst II with sytrafoam blocks on the Ocoee Must have been around 1986. A ORGT group was hanging out around Diamond Splitter watching us side surf witches hole.
Michael McCurdy
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Yep. Done the tractor inner tube thing with my 17 foot Coleman canoe. This is back in the day when "horse collar", or yoke, life preservers were state-of-the-art. 8)
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

I have seen shipping peanuts stuff in a home made nylon bag problem was the bag was leaking them all over the place
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

I used the "packing peanuts in plastic garbage bags" technique in my first canoe, and the giant inner tubes. NOT recommended.
JKaz......
acc
C Boater

Re: inner tubes & kneeling thwarts

Post by acc »

I was told to contact Bob P re kneeling thwarts, but saw the tractor inner tube comment & had to chime in. My first real whitewater trip was on Wolf R, Wisc years ago. I used my Mad River Guide & for floatation crammed two truck inner tubes in bow & stern. They definitely weighed more than the canoe & fortunately I did not get to see how well they would work.
I have a Dagger Caption I recently bought that has kneeling thwarts. I understand Bob has done some modifying in past to allow thwarts to be quickly detached in event of a pin. I would appreciate any ideas & pictures if you have them Bob.
Thank-you.
Allen aka acc
thecloses@yahoo.com
obdave
c

Post by obdave »

ended up in my first downriver race last weekend. pulled out my old coldcracked explorer and my buddy and i stuffed pool toys under the thwarts. was extremely classy-kept it dry so didnt really test em out but sure have plans for next year-blow up dolls anyone?
dave in missoula
solo_konoe
Pain Boater

Post by solo_konoe »

Ditto: Hatin' on airbags :evil:

At the top of Dragon's Tooth rapid on the Dryway, the nozzle on my brand new GAIA airbags popped off and disappeared down the rapid. Advice on getting a local replacement from a brick and mortar?
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

i use shipping bags. they are called "dunnage bags" i pay $4 each for a 36"x36" bag on e-bay. i use 6 in my big boat. she is unsinkable. i never remove them. nice to nap on too. http://youtu.be/4G2ZsXNjEHk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
OC One Blade
C Guru

Post by OC One Blade »

hazardharry wrote:i use shipping bags. they are called "dunnage bags"
What kind of valves do these bags have? Are special inflator attachments needed?
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

any type inflater will work. just make an adaptor. i use a cheapo walmart battery powered one. or you can just put your lips together and blow...
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
OC One Blade
C Guru

Post by OC One Blade »

Cool. Thanks.