Do you roll with your eyes open or closed?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Do you roll with your eyes open?

yes
36%
no
38%
I only roll half way.
8%
what? I paddle with my eyes closed!
12%
only if my first attempt doesn't work
4%
I paddle with a mask and snorkel
2%

Total votes: 50

Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Re: Do you roll with your eyes open or closed?

Post by Yukon »

for sure muscle memory is where it is at, it may have been the 10 000 rolls i did in the pool last winter more than opening my eyes. everything was frozen so pool sessions was all we had.

A lot of people blow their rolls lifting their head, if you eyes are open u can look at the bottom of the river- it will keep your head down.

Vision is one of our key senses so why not use it when u can and you can see a lot under water. Once u get to a certain level does not matter if your eyes are open or closed- u are just back up

I often do drills with students that I get them to close their eyes so they focus on feeling what the boat is doing.

I know for me my rolls are a bit smoother with my eyes open
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

Closed. I find they clear the water better when I roll up if they were closed while I was under.

Kyle
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

FullGnarlzOC wrote:If your thinking about whats in the water, or seeing where body orientation is - ur already a step behind

muscle memory/instinctual is where its at imo.
I agree with that, but it's quite possible to roll with muscle memory and have your eyes open; 90% of the time all I can see from the setup position is my front deck anyway (and the other 10% Ican see my airag lacing instead).
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
pmp
CBoats Addict

Post by pmp »

interesting indeed. seems like a slight majority roll with eyes open. guess i'll have to give it a try, although i'm not sure watching the rocks whizz by my head is going to be an incentive to keep my head down.
i do open my eyes when i can't find the surface to start the roll.
paul
bubblestreet.ca
theracane.ca
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

I think i may have to correct myself after observing what i was doing with my eyes yesterday. Guess I did not have them open all the time in the river. probably a natural reaction to close em. It is interesting to force yourself to keep em open and I think it can make a difference especially people to people learning to roll to become more aware of what they are doing under water.

Interesting the other day I had a young student from Nunavut- probably never swam before- we were doing t-rescues- she was in the water floating with her eyes shut. I asked her to open her eyes and she said she couldn't. It took about 30 seconds of encouragement to get her to try to open her eyes. It was BIG success to get some of the kids floating comfortably in their pfds.
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
MrTgrips
CBoats Addict

Post by MrTgrips »

My eyes are always open. It's just the way I leaned to swim. I think the main advantage for me is that I can prepare for a rock impact that I can see coming. The only time they're closed is when the water pressure is so great it feels like someone is power washing my eye balls, perhaps like when one gets trashed in a powerful hole. But I still peak. :)

DISCLAIMER: This may or may not apply to your situation, am am partially Amphibious!

Mick :lol:
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

closed for myself. i always wonder whats ticking my sinuses though? http://youtu.be/oZ0lqK9bXcg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
PatrickOC1
C Guru

Post by PatrickOC1 »

Then Harry shows up with a link to the wierd side of youtube..... :wink: