C-Boaters with nose plugs?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

How many of you wear em?

Yes I wear plugs
32%
No I do not wear them
68%

Total votes: 44

Big Al
CBoats Addict

Re: C-Boaters with nose plugs?

Post by Big Al »

This is one of the most incredibly interesting threads ever on CBoats!

I had my nose plugs on going over Ohiopyle Falls in my B-Fly B-Fly last Sunday and I'm glad I did as I got beat down and was just about ready to try and start sucking air bubbles to stay alive before finally popping out. Could've been worse had water gotten up my nose!

Big Al
OC One Blade
C Guru

Post by OC One Blade »

Big Al wrote:This is one of the most incredibly interesting threads ever on CBoats!
Yeah, yeah... I know it isn't a glamorous topic, and it's getting out of hand. I apologize for adding to the fire. I started not to post. It's just that I'm having some troubles I didn't use to have- trying to get a little info.

It's a good thing you can choose not to read about it or weigh in on it so as not to keep it going.
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

But this is a useful and fun discussion. :D

I do have a question that has not been addressed here yet.

How does individual rolling technique affect the need for nose plugs?

I ask this because as someone who has spent a lot of time swimming I know exactly what positions will put water into my nose (back flips under water) and I don't need to bubble air unless I am making that motion. In my boat I have yet to find a position that has a similar effect of forcing water up my nose. This is not to say that there are not situations where the river forces water up my nose but I don't really think that it is from my body positioning so much as the way the water is moving on its own.

P.S. Big Al did really need his noseplugs on when he went over Ohiopyle Falls last week in his BlackFly BlackFly. I happen to know there exists a photo sequence that is PRICELESS documenting this feat.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Aaron - we need that photo... 8)

See Tommy - I'm helping out here!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

FullGnarlzOC wrote:I often find that the knot comes loose on my nose plug tether... what knot should I be tying? Nose plugs are expensive!

You probably need one of THESE to really hold make sure they wont fall off. I know it is intended for nose plug retention due to the fact it is being sold on a kayak gear website.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
riverratNE
c

Post by riverratNE »

OC One Blade wrote:
Big Al wrote:This is one of the most incredibly interesting threads ever on CBoats!
Yeah, yeah... I know it isn't a glamorous topic, and it's getting out of hand. I apologize for adding to the fire. I started not to post. It's just that I'm having some troubles I didn't use to have- trying to get a little info.

It's a good thing you can choose not to read about it or weigh in on it so as not to keep it going.
It's not a glamorous topic, but it's good to ask these things. No need to apologize. :-)

-Alexis :-)
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Post by Big Al »

Brendan
C Guru

Post by Brendan »

Nose Plugs?! We don't need no stinkin nose plugs!

Big Al- thanks for sharing the photo of the dudes nasal hardware. The added weight might help him to keep his head under and actually assist with his roll. On the other hand, it would be messy if he snagged a rock with thoase rings! Could make rescue/retrieval easier with an extra place to hook up to.
Brendan
clarion
C Guru

Post by clarion »

Quadaffi corpse pics are sick
It AIN'T bent.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

is that wut you felt like after your beatdown Al?
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
icyone
C Guru

Post by icyone »

Guy? Oh, sure enough, it IS a guy behind the rings --- excuse me, I thought it was a pig!!

And it reminds me --
A bit OT, but is anyone else old enough/hard-core enough to recall that you kept a few "pig rings" on hand to use for securing the shock cord when you made your own spray-skirts?
C-1's are the Gods of the River
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

:o For class 5, I plug ALL of my orifices !
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Ive trained my nose hairs to constrict the air flow
Proud Yankee
OC One Blade
C Guru

Post by OC One Blade »

TonyB wrote:Ive trained my nose hairs to constrict the air flow
I've trained my body to fill my nasal passages with snot, mucus, bacteria, etc. into an impregnable barrier. True story!

To reach true Nasal Nirvana, however, you must coach yourself into hardening each component into a solid state. You will then reach the "Cement Head", the pinnacle of success! The TOP of the pyramid!

Hey, Tommy. Can you draw me up a Nasal Nirvana pyramid like you did with the "Dooley" paddling skills thing? That's what we need to really begin fleshing this out and develop some philosophies and doctrines. You know, a more methodical approach. I think we're on to something!
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

Wearing nose plugs ruins the picture of someone running a rapid.