big feet big butt

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TNbound
CBoats Addict

Re: big feet big butt

Post by TNbound »

ian123 wrote:You get what you pay for and foam is pretty expensive.
Not that expensive. You could make 2 of those saddles out of a $45 hunk of foam.

harry, just add some foam to either side of it and you should have a serviceable saddle. Sucks to do more work on something you just bought, but it is what it is.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

I can't source mini cell that cheap unless I want to buy an entire bun.
Are you suggesting that that isn't suspiciously inexpensive for a saddle? What does a Mike Yee saddle cost? What does an Esquif or a Bob Britt saddle cost?
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Last time I bought a big hunk of foam at the local "paddle" shop up here I think it was $45 for a piece 1'x4'x3", which could yield two saddles of almost the same dimensions as that NRS one.

That saddle seems expensive to me, especially considering it is only 6" wide and one 9" wide is available from Harmony for about 2/3rds the price. That said, I think 9" is way to wide and recently cut one of those down.

A saddle from Esquif or Bob would of course be more, but you're getting a lot more. Bulkhead, footpegs, a good backrest, and a LOT more foam.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
djutzi
C Guru

Post by djutzi »

Indeed - the Harmon saddle noted above is nice and big, and pretty cheap. I saw one for sale at Ottawa Paddle Shack for $50! Felt so wide to me it would need to be shaved down for my purposes...
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

I stand corrected.

70 bucks should buy an amazing saddle. I guess you got hosed. That sucks.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

but i did buy the rasp for forming the saddle to my legs. i am looking to cover the saddle in 3mm neoprene. does that sound like a good idea. i did insall it. this is not the boat i want to sink money into but i do need comfort for day long paddles. i know the time i get spun under getting out will be much safer now.
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

Just a thought. If you glue neoprene to the saddle, it will be more difficult to make adjustments down the road. For example, if you want to lower the seat height, I don't think you could just shave through the neoprene layer. Sounds comfy, though.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

yup need to make all the adjustments first. then i will cover it. or buy a new boat...
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

it took abot 4 days to really glue the seat in place. i kept adding to the joint with a 1/4" bead of red can several times to reach the level of finish it needs to keep me in place. i sculpted it the best i could just sitting aground. i plan on bringing the rasp and fix any other uncomfortable pinch points. a day on the dead will tell your butt all about a new seat. here is some video of the padz saddle after a bit of fiddlin. http://youtu.be/0fKMEgugs-Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;