Olympics.....Dude.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

lung
C Guru

Re: Olympics.....Dude.

Post by lung »

Was looking forward to watching these. Not a morning person, so I set my alarm and slept on my couch. For some stupid reason my alarm was set to go off every day except Sunday. Lame.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

so now you have to have premium tv service to see sh!t on the internet? !!
i was hoping to stream it, but I guess the 60 bucks a month that i pay comcast for internet and basic cable isn't enough. f-ing greedy bastards.

any other way to catch replays?
Larry
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

If you can get the online access for having CNBC and MSNBC, the live-streaming doesn't have to be live. You can go back and watch it later, as it is just a youtube stream.
jatakasawa
C Guru

Post by jatakasawa »

NBC will be broadcasting it tonight between 12:30-1:30 AM Eastern time according to my directv menu. I'll be hitting the DVR for it as I'm not a night owl. Some pretty interesting stories...check out the Slovakian twins paddling C-2. I think their 'twintuition' may give them a slight edge over the competition.
Chester the Brace Monkey.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

This is conflicting for me, I'd love to see Dave win for team GB, not least because on the occasions i've met him he's come accros as a top bloke... but I'm also a big fan of Martikan and his unusually bullish paddling style, who if he performs like he usually does (rather than like his first run) will probably win and deserve it... also some other people are racing :p
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
french erick
C Guru

Post by french erick »

I'll have to put my money behind Tony... question of principle really 8)

Combination of lousy weather rock climbing summer 2008, rafting on my native river and beijing footage got me in this malarky... well excited about the games!
Erick Baillot
woro90
C Boater

Post by woro90 »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:but I'm also a big fan of Martikan and his unusually bullish paddling style, who if he performs like he usually does (rather than like his first run) will probably win and deserve it... also some other people are racing :p
Yes, and Tony Estanguet's runs are really pleasing to the eye even if he doesn't perform as well as he probably could. His style is almost as smooth as if he was in a C2. And there are more paddlers with interesting style.
Paddle solo, sleep tandem.
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

So, for someone such as myself, who doesn't get any television stations, and very feeble internet access, could someone please post slalom results here? thanks.
JKaz......
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

all the results are listed here John...

http://www.nbcolympics.com/canoe-kayak/ ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it's truly an Olympic caliber course they have set and the 12/13 move they have right now is brutal.... can't wait to see what they change up for the semi's/finals. C2 action is great as well... hope to see the rest of it this evening on the replay.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Post by ohioboater »

woro90 wrote:Tech question: Did I really see some kind of skeg on K. Maley's boat? Or what did I see?
On the raw streaming footage, you can hear the on-site announcer commenting on the use of "fins similar to surf board technology," and they are noticeable just behind the paddler's hips when he's edging hard enough to expose them.

And you can get access to the stream even if you aren't a cable subscriber. Just pick any of the providers when asked, and then look for the "get temporary pass" or "forgot username" link.
woro90
C Boater

Post by woro90 »

ohioboater wrote:
woro90 wrote:Tech question: Did I really see some kind of skeg on K. Maley's boat? Or what did I see?
On the raw streaming footage, you can hear the on-site announcer commenting on the use of "fins similar to surf board technology," and they are noticeable just behind the paddler's hips when he's edging hard enough to expose them.
Oops, I didn't hear it - I still sometimes have a hard time understanding spoken English. Does anyone know how are these supposed to work? Is it like sharper edges only in the center, therefore not increasing resistance to turning but providing more resistance to sideways movement when an edge is engaged?
Paddle solo, sleep tandem.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Just watched the streaming. Thanks for the link, Mike. It's amazing to get to this level of competition and see the mistakes everyone, and I mean almost all the cboaters, are incurring on the course. Expecially with the top racers. Martikan did his typical, put-your-head-down-and-paddle-harder-than-the-pain-you're-feeling style of racing on his last run, but it was so disappointing to see Estanguet hit those struggle points on the last parts of the course. The most amazing final run for me came from David Florence. He finished 8 seconds faster than his first run, had no touches, and made a most-brilliant recovery through one of the last gates. Now, THAT'S RACING, B-A-Y-B-E-E! :D

Gotta watch the c-2's now.

Here's the link:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/canoe- ... s-k-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are the c-2 results:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/canoe-kayak/ ... index.html
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I dunno if this will work, but... The BBC has all the events available to watch both live and recorded on I-player... I just dunno if they'll show it for non uk IP addresses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/201 ... noe-slalom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Watching a recording of Togo's Boukpeti (k1) make his second qualifying run, my son Noah says "he's pretty good for a kayaker! " that *was* after Martikan and Estanguet....
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Maybe it's an optical thing... but it appears to me the Hochschorner C2 team are using a paddle with a bit wider blade.

Hmmmpf?

Edit... looks as though shorter and wider is 'in'...

http://www.vajdagroup.com/products/padd ... 2021hochsi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.vajdagroup.com/products/padd ... 202skantar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.vajdagroup.com/products/paddles/495-c1wide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter