what do you tell the children?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

insolence
CBoats Addict

what do you tell the children?

Post by insolence »

while many people are amazed and find it cool when they see my OC1 in action, it happens regularly that (canoe slalom) people shake their heads or laugh at me when I show up with my beloved Prelude. While I stay friendly and keep smiling, I have to admit it hurts a little that some people just condamn everything that doesn't fit into their narrow scheme and give me nasty comments

Of course, I tell those guys the truth (yes, I love it, yes, its fun and yes, it is possible and even makes sense to paddle severe whitewater with it, and so on).....but I never have the feeling they take it. I don't expect them to be convinced of OC being the greatest thing, but I want them to get a bit of respect and - I mostly have the feeling they don't

what do you say or do when being dissed because of your craft? Isn't there any quick-witted, juicy thing to say that gives the "haters" a little silent moment?
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Re: what do you tell the children?

Post by Mike W. »

Just offer to swap boats. :lol:
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I have never had anybody be sincerely insulting or nasty about me paddling a C-1 or OC-1. There have been times that I had to assure them that it was a suitable craft for the setting (i.e. the artificial whitewater course in Charlotte), but other than that the worst has been good natured joking. I'm sorry to hear you are getting grief for paddling a proper boat!
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Just say "bite me". No that's not nice. Please disregard this.
JKaz......
jatakasawa
C Guru

Post by jatakasawa »

"Open Canoes aren't the best choice for whitewater..............unless you've got the skills." Then walk away. BAZINGA!!!!!!!!
Chester the Brace Monkey.
french erick
C Guru

Post by french erick »

Shame... never had any other reactions than: "you are not running this with THAT thing, are you?". Then proceed by running it, most of the time clean-ish. After I get claps on the back and cheers, regardless of the swimming or not. That's in the UK, occasionally in the Southern French Alps. I'm mostly well received. Or I'm blissfully anawares :wink:

Ignore folks, aim to style the bit of river and laugh internally at their dismay! Whatever, we paddle for fun and you find your prelude immensely fun, don't you? I do.

I like Jetakasawa's answer though.
Erick Baillot
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

I recently had the total opposit experience. Paddling in the French alps (Ubaye race course at lowish-levels). Raft coming through, and the guide telling to his customers: 'ça, ça c'est superb, c'est du canoë' (that, that is amazing, it's canoeing). Thumbs up for the guide ;-)
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

I tell my kids..... "You have bow and I have stern!...or... "How do you want to run this one?"

As for "haters" .. don't really care... its not like they amount to anything in my life! Its your boat .. you go have fun paddling it! 8)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

"Quiet! Grown-ups* are talking." usually does the trick.

*in translation to german, select the most childish, patronising word for adult that fits the phrase :p
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

I would go with...."women wear skirts, whats ur excuse"

...coming from a woman - it should have some added pop

or you can jump the gun on em one day, and be like.... "hey guys - i got some extra skirts that I dont wear anymore if u guys want em"....ideally they'll say, 'oh that'd be great!"..... then u pull out old school girl skirts u have laying around and dont need....they won't know what to say... just smile :)

or you can say "Quiet the grown ups are talking"..... if you wanna sound like a doooooooooooork :roll:
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

say "Quiet the grown ups are talking"..... if you wanna sound like a doooooooooooork
Or just scream.... "I'm going Fool Gnarlz!"

Sorry Tommy! LOL
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

FullGnarlzOC wrote:you can say "Quiet the grown ups are talking"..... if you wanna sound like a doooooooooooork :roll:
It's only going to make you sound like a dork, if you already come across like one... So whilst you might not pull that phrase off, She would.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Ahem.

Insolence posted a semi-serious question... let's try and be helpful in our answers...

AND remember that our community supports all single bladed paddlers. This site was founded as a C1 resource, OC1's were added to be more inclusive (as well as C2, OC2, etc...).

I find swapping boats with someone "they" know and respect goes a loooong way. Years ago at the end of a run I swapped boats with the up and coming hot shot kayaker. I paddles his 'yak out in to the hole, surfed for a bit (thankfully didn't flip... not sure I could have rolled up) and though I certainly didn't "school" him in his boat as others might have been able to do, I didn't make a fool of myself either.

He never left the eddy.

I paddled my Atom that day as I recall. He was in some 6' or so tupperware, lousy primary stability but great secondary and surfed well.

To this day I have his respect... and that of everyone that he knows and looks up to him. He's a far better creek boater than I'll likely ever be at this point, and is a good humble guy to boot.

Not sure if you can pull that off in Europe, but worth a try!

I do think it is easier in a CBoat than an OCboat to get respect, which is a shame - as WE all know if you can paddle it with two blades, you can paddle it with one....
Keep the C!
Adam