Outfitting... I need a beer.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

alanthalan
c

Outfitting... I need a beer.

Post by alanthalan »

Replacing the Perception saddle that was in my, as referred to on cboats "refrigerator," It's a Mad River Rampage. I am convinced it will take me down the Grand one day. I have fixed the dings and put on plates. The cold cracks are stop drilled and on my things to fix this winter list. Once I figure out this thigh strap nonsense I am throwing in a pump.

hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Re: Outfitting... I need a beer.

Post by hazardharry »

:cry: dude stop chopping your seat! :oops: buy the $4 rasp from nrs to shape it. :wink: i will go take a quick video of the saddle i just set up in my mad river me. :P
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
alanthalan
c

Post by alanthalan »

Thanks Guru, the scissors were for cutting something else. I rough cut (chopped) the foam with a drywall saw that just doesn't cut like it used to. I have a rasp and will finish it smooth after I finish fighting with the vynabond.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

dude i've been huffing red can for two weeks now... :oops: http://youtu.be/ecIViobVP-A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
alanthalan
c

Post by alanthalan »

Finished! For now. The greatest idea I had was recessing the foot pegs into the saddle.

Question: how do you pros handle high volume canyons, is a pump a must? Westy at 2-3k is ok but how do you bail at 13'?

Einar
CBoats Addict

Post by Einar »

If one is good 2 is better. A friend has 4 in his Octane 92 T but he specializes in winter flood level paddling of constant gradient canyons, his thing.
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Einar wrote:If one is good 2 is better. A friend has 4 in his Octane 92 T but he specializes in winter flood level paddling of constant gradient canyons, his thing.
Seriously? Not to hijack the thread, but at that point a C1 or kayak is more practical than 15lbs of pumps and batteries.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

4 pumps :o maybe it isn't his thing
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Einar wrote:If one is good 2 is better. A friend has 4 in his Octane 92 T but he specializes in winter flood level paddling of constant gradient canyons, his thing.
Good grief - put a deck on the dang thing.
jmatt
c

Post by jmatt »

I just bought a boat that runs two Attwood 1250's off a single laptop battery. The biggest issue as was explained to me is keeping the battery dry, and an Otter case plus a good dose of McGuyver (sp?) seems to work. I took it out on S9 of the FB at 3K and had no issues with juice. Next week is the Noli, which should prove a stiff test indeed.
watermonkey
C Boater

Post by watermonkey »

I use a 1200 Atwood with a 12v 7 amp hour rechargeable battery. This thing pumps crazy fast, and is more than sufficient to drain my Encore (and I'm a crappy boater, so I don't run the dryest lines). I could probably drain my hot tub on one charge with this configuration.

Second - do you have some sort of quick release for your thigh straps? River straps look like a permanent way to secure yourself in, deadly permanent.

Third - someone running a canoe in western CO!!!!! I'm in Carbondale, PM me - lets get on the water while there's still some left.
roscoe
c

Post by roscoe »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSCqk5qLWuc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2 pumps don't keep up
4 pumps keeps her going.
alanthalan
c

Post by alanthalan »

Tested out the escapability of the straps (went swimming) no problems, I don't see fastex buckles providing and extra measure of security and they break.

Hoping to piece together a pump system next payday.

Which brings me to squirrely canyon water... It's worse than the rapids. I try to keep my paddle in the water and stay loose, but dam it yanks my gunwale under like it's nothing! Tips?
Einar
CBoats Addict

Seriously!

Post by Einar »

TNbound wrote:
Seriously? Not to hijack the thread, but at that point a C1 or kayak is more practical than 15lbs of pumps and batteries.
Yep seriously!
Come on Rosco, Trailer Park rapid was just your easy stress test to see if the glue would hold.

Link up with some of your upper river, Chilliwack Canyon runs in January videos, Full flood.
e
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
alanthalan
c

Post by alanthalan »

Got the Attwood, SLA battery, and bulkhead fitting hooked up! Tested it out... I just kept smiling. It's awesome! Stacking and glue some foam to mount things in nice. I am starting to feel a bit proud; I earned this beer :)