Where to live near Portland, Or

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Chuck Wilkison
c

Where to live near Portland, Or

Post by Chuck Wilkison »

I am thinking of relocating to the eastern side of Portland, Oregon. I am of course a WW paddler. OC-1. I also like to bicycle and ski (down hill and back country). My daughter lives just west of Portland, so I do not want to go to far east, but would love to be nearer the WW and skiing. Any suggestions??
milkman
C Maven

Re: Where to live near Portland, Or

Post by milkman »

Chuck, look on a map and locate the Clackamas River. It runs from the Cascades to Oregon City, just south of Portland. That's one of our year-round paddling rivers.

I don't know how far you want to live outside the metro area, but the truth is, living in the Portland metro area is ideal for getting to the coastal rivers (Wilson, NF Trask, Kilchis ) and the Cascade rivers (Sandy, Clack, Eagle Creek, Salmon, Hood, North Santiam), and the SW Washington rivers (Washougal, EF Lewis, White Salmon, Kalama). You get too far away from Portland and you will no longer be in a central location for some of these runs.

As for skiing, just being on the east side of town makes Mt. Hood 10 minutes closer.

Be sure to check out the website of the local canoe club: http://www.l-ccc.org.