Polishing gel coat...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Polishing gel coat...

Post by Sir Adam »

With the number of used boats I've picked up I have several that although sound look rather shabby with a lot of the gel coat oxidized. I finally got around to trying the 3M Marine Restorer polish and wax (made for power boat gel coats). A few minutes with a buffing wheel on a drill seems to have made a big difference.... This is on a Wenonah Advantage. I have yet to try it on any of my whitewater boats, but if this goes well I just might.
gelcoatpolish.jpg
Keep the C!
Adam
ezwater
C Maven

Re: Polishing gel coat...

Post by ezwater »

Hey, two guys just asked about renewing composite or FG. I was unaware of the product you describe, although I use the 3M yacht wax on my Millbrook and Bluewater canoes.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

It works well... here's an update.

I'll likely go over the sides again though as I got a bit ahead of myself and didn't polish as much as I should have before waxing. Below waterline looks good though!
gelcoatpolish2.jpg
Keep the C!
Adam
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

what was the final cost on doing the boat?
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

$20 or so for the 3M polish / wax (1 step process, but apply and buff), and turning a buffing pad a rather amusing shade of blue / green.

The buffing pad I used attaches to a drill - in a perfect world I'd use one on buffing machine / angle grinder sort of thing. Might be getting one soon for another project anyway. BUT, as a cheap way to get it shined up (under $30 total I think) not too bad.

Time wise about 2 hours I think, but I didn't do it all in one stretch. and the Advantage isn't exactly a small boat.
Keep the C!
Adam
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

That looks great! I must might have to try that on my slide next spring.
Hank
c

Post by Hank »

Take a look at GOOD OLD BOAT magazine, July/August 2012 issue #85 page 44 article titled: Restore that faded gelcoat. Says much about this topic.
zappaddles
Pain Boater

Post by zappaddles »

For a cost effective (cheap) variable speed buffer/grinder go to Harbor Freight. The price can't be beat. Light weight and easy to control.
Zap
"I'm with you fellers"