OC1 knee straps?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

lung
C Guru

OC1 knee straps?

Post by lung »

Where's a good place to buy some knee straps? The single thigh straps I'm using right now aren't cutting it. I'm thinking adding on some knee straps will help. Have never installed straps before. Is there any tricks that I should know about? It seems like allot of people favor the Mike Yee products. What is it about the Mike Yee set up that makes it special? Hoping to find some straps that are stiff enough to stay up for ease of slipping in and out.
scott curtis
C Guru

Re: OC1 knee straps?

Post by scott curtis »

We tend to stay away from straps, and build foam bulkheads.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

They won't stay up by themselves, but I've never had a problem getting into the boat. Mine are made from simple 1" wide webbing with plastic hardware. Cheap and effective. You can also get straps with sewn-in buckles (that you can loop around to itself) where even 1" wide will be bulletproof.
Bob P
lung
C Guru

Post by lung »

Yeah Scott. I think I would really like the bulkhead system, but if I decide to go that route it's going to wait until the winter months. Are there disadvantages of going bulkhead on a royalex boat? Would it be possible to build it off of my existing saddle or would it be smarter to build it from scratch?
lung
C Guru

Post by lung »

Thanks for the pic Bob! Going with one inch webbing would save me some time and money. I'd be nervous about them becoming uncomfortable though. Seems like they would cut into your leg after a bit.
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

Harmony Gear has nice one that are well made
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

If you use tubular webbing, the kind use for climbing, they are nice on your legs, and before you melt the ends, you can feed some plastic strips in them, so the straps are some what moldable, so they retain there shape.

Cheers
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

For the plastic strips to insert into the inside of the tubular webbing, I'd suggest heading to Lowes and getting some extra long heavy duty zip ties. You can get them a couple feet long and they work good without being too wide.
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

I just use an old Rubermaid Roughneck container lid that I cut strips out of it, it is free, just the right thickness and stiffness!
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I'm a big fan of Northwater products, see their thigh straps at

http://www.northwater.com/html/products ... traps.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Straps are easier to install, and adjust for different paddlers or even different conditions (cold weather clothing) than bulkheads.

It also depends on the boat, the outfitting setup, and the paddler's preference. For OC1 I like straps, for C1 I use foam/bulkhead.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Atucky
CBoats Addict

Post by Atucky »

I have a pair of old canoe thigh straps that have never been used. what's your email address, and I'll send you pictures, if interested, let's come up with a price and I'll ship them to you.

adamtrunnell@gmail.com
Adam Trunnell
dafriend
C Guru

Post by dafriend »

Hey Lung,

You can get the webbing and plastic parts at REI.
I might have a few old but useable D-Ring patches I'll give you if you want them.
Fix that boat up and bring it to Wausau 9/15&16 (if you're not working)

Dave
Singleblade757

Post by Singleblade757 »

The best place for outfitting is Mike Yee's equipment. Just Google Mike Yee and you'll find his stuff. I learned my boating from Bob Foote and bulkheads are death-traps. If you get pushed back good luck getting your knees out.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Yes. Bulkheads kill. That's why no one uses them in canoes for water over Class II.
lung
C Guru

Post by lung »

Thanks for all the suggestions! Going to pass on your offer Atucky, I don't have an issue with the thigh straps that are already on there, just want to add some for my knees. I'm going to try this plastic webbing method. Thanks for the offer on the D-rings Dave, but I already have a couple that should work. Unfortunately I do have to work that weekend. Would love to go boating with you one of these days if we could just get some rain.