Upper Nantahala 9/29-30

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

SethO
c

Upper Nantahala 9/29-30

Post by SethO »

What are everyone's plans for the first recreational releases this reach has seen?

I'm busy with the Outdoorsman Triathlon during the 425cfs release on Sunday morning , but plan on being there for the Saturday release of 300cfs. Anyone have an opinion of this reach at the low 250cfs release planned for Sunday afternoon? Too Scrappy at that low flow?
Shep
CBoats Addict

Re: Upper Nantahala 9/29-30

Post by Shep »

I will be around with my dad on Sunday. We're coming out for Nationals, and making a week of it. I might try my hand at the Cascades, depending on how I feel, but I think we will definitely get a run in on the upper.

Shep
SethO
c

Post by SethO »

No Cascades for me. Hopefully I'll be able to handle that kind of run by the spring '13 releases. I'm feeling like I'll be able to handle the upper without much trouble.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I'm planning to be there all weekend in OC1 and might bring my C1 too. Planning to run Cascades and Upper. Only been on the upper in a shredder. Can't wait!
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

i hope to be able to paddle the upper on the Saturday release at least
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
OC One Blade
C Guru

Post by OC One Blade »

I plan on being there the entire weekend. I'm looking forward to hopefully meeting some Cboats posters.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I'll be in an open L'Edge and have a rasta colored helmet (Plateau Vandal) - green on front, yellow on top, red on back. Or I may be in a yellow Jefe Grande C1. Either way, say hello, and if you know the lines, show them to me. :) If you don't know the lines, I may not be the best person to follow, as I don't know them either, but am pretty sure I can make it down the creek.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
OC One Blade
C Guru

Post by OC One Blade »

Todhunter wrote:if you know the lines, show them to me. :)
I'll be in a red Ion and wearing either a yellow full face or purple polo style helmet- haven't decided. I'll certainly say hello if I see you. I don't know the lines- AT ALL. I've never been able to catch it with any water in it. But I'd be willing to follow you and dodge any hazards you happen to discover. :)
hankrankin
C Guru

Post by hankrankin »

The largest Cascade rapids can be found in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kynuhgdLrk 27 seconds in is the Horns. 50 seconds in is Kahuna. 1:03 is Junkyard. 1:15 is Raft Guide Extraordinaire Alex Weinert dropping the horns in a Mini-me. 1:25 is Chinese feet. See you out there guys!
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

Where are people staying?

Seems like it'll be a busy weekend with GAF going on too.
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

NOC's trying to keep track of numbers to run shuttles:
http://www.facebook.com/events/116457281836628/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems like a lot of people for a creek.
OC One Blade
C Guru

Post by OC One Blade »

Yeah, it's a tight area on the upper- not a lot of room for parking. Looks like it could be a bit of a cluster.
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

A large vehicle and shuttle bunny would be ideal. It might be a good thing to have a traffic jam on the road instead of the river.
1blade
c

Post by 1blade »

Just a heads up. I was up there this past weekend, Sept 15-16. Theres a lot of wood in the Upper Nanty. Some could be avoided, some could not depending on what the flows will be like. I didnt drive all the way up to the cacscades, so I have no clue what its like. Just a heads up. Boat smart, live long.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I have to imagine that, within the bounds of what's legal on USFS land (I guess they control this section too...) people will be cleaning this up. I hope. :oops: